Old Hickory Dam Catfish

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by heavystringer, Oct 29, 2009.

1. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    anyone been below the dam lately?

2. JBird01

JBird01 New Member

State:
    Hendersonville,TN
    Me and a buddy were down there yesterday trying to catch some skips but didn't have much luck. One guy off the bank had a dinky channel on a stringer and i saw a few pulled in from guys out on boats.

3. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Same here. Fished the hend side with no luck. A guy next to me caught a nice size skip and gave it to me. I did not catch anything. I tnjugger said the skips were biting up at cordell hull dam. Went to PP dam, the west side, and a oriental guy had a nice stringer with cats and stripers. I called twra about this guy because the stripers looked questionable. He did have one on there that was legal. Plus he was past his limit. He fish with small chunks of cut bait and was catching fish.

4. TennesseeJugger

TennesseeJugger New Member

State:
    Watertown, Tenn
    Did they bust him?

5. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    They said they will send someone down there. I had to leave for work. I wasnt fishing. stopped to see if there was any action..

6. festus

festus New Member

Right now these fishing rogues and poachers can get away with murder because lots of game wardens are in the woods looking for hunters. :eek:oooh:

7. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i went down to the dam today for a little while. ended up with 3 big skipjack. no rockfish. saw a couple being caught tho. the guy at the baitshop said someone caught a 40lb rockfish down there the other night

8. Jedicazador

Jedicazador New Member

State:
    TN
    I've only seen them checking licenses in the spring and in very busy areas, I really dont think they're gonna find the guys using coke cans and junking em when the get near em in busy areas, but I know wardens are very busy and understaffed.

9. festus

festus New Member

Thursday I found one of these "high tech" Coke can setups left on the bank. :big_smile: I started to carry it out as a souveneir and post a picture of it but I had my hands full already. This was one of the more "sophisticated" set ups. It actually has a swivel, a bead, an egg sinker, and a baitholder hook! :roll_eyes: I have seen those with set up with sinkers made from washers, spark plugs, or nuts and bolts. :wink:

10. tndogman

tndogman New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Went below the OH dam on Saturday and Sunday (7th and 8th) ... fished over an hour on Sat trying to catch a Skip and finally had to go back home and get some frozen that I had .... had absolutely no luck either day ... couldn't so much as catch a skipjack much less a cat. Fished all day Sat and during the morning Sun. Went to Priest Sun afternoon and no luck there either.

11. festus

festus New Member

I haven't seen many skipjacks caught up my way since May. There's gobs of small shad 2" to about 3-1/2" swimming the banks. I've seen some striper guides with their clients fishing with the skippies about 5" to 7" long, but I never asked where they got them. So I've been fishing with cut bluegill, the 3" shad, and nightcrawlers. This past spring (Mar-May) skippies were plentiful, I caught plenty of them while fishing for crappie, yellow and white bass.

12. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    went down to the dam last night and tonight with jbird. last night we filled up two 5 gal buckets of skipjack. also jbird caught a nice rockfish and i caught my first walleye. i also ended up catching a camera somehow. tonight we went and ended up with 2 rockfish and 4 walleye. jbird also caught a nice smallmouth when we first got there. the skipjack are still biting really good on small grubs but the freezer is currenty full so they are safe for now. we are gonna take some of the skipjack out in the mornin and hopefully catch a nice big blue or two. heres some pics

Attached Files:

13. gatortail

gatortail New Member

State:
    tennessee
    was out there on the lake and caught a 29lb channel and a 35lb blue we had a total of 18 fish.

14. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    Hey Tangell, what were the smallies, rockfish, and walleyes biting on? Haven't been up there in a few weeks, may try Friday morning.

15. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    Whats a "Coke can setup"?

16. festus

festus New Member

Click here, Richard, I started a thread about Coke can fishing a while back: http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=126472 It's pretty entertaining and it's a miracle it hasn't been pulled by the moderators already. :cool2:

It's a tactic used by fishermen who don't have license, are running from the law, or just too blame cheap to buy tackle and license. Coke can fishermen can stomp the can when they see the authorities, kick it into the water and destroy the evidence. :smile2:

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  17. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee

we were using little green grubs and also the zoom spinnerbait trailers in white