Old Hickory Dam Catfish

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by heavystringer, Feb 18, 2009.

1. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    Went to OH dam yesterday..the water was 44 degrees...No skipjacks were cuaght and shad wasn't located either..had some night crawlers and went down to where the stones river connects to the cumberland..graphed some fish and decided to try it..nothing..tried several holes and no cats were caught..tried some cut bluegill but no cats were caught..talked to a couple other guys fishin and they said since the freeze a couple weeks ago it's been super slow..anyone doin any good by OH dam? thanx :tounge_out:

2. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Past couple times I fished below Old Hick never caught one fish. They gotta be there. I just dont have the time to put in like I want. I would stick with the steam plant area. Below the 109 bridge is where I hear is alittle better fishing.

3. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I wouldn't waste my time below the dam at all, Ihave never caught anything of any size down there and thats in the spring and summer. I don't know why the winter fishing stinks so bad down there, if you catch a skip you would surprise me. Spring and summer are about the only times I have ever caught skips. I have fished it for about 12 years and live jusr mins away and that has always been the same. I have went down there many many times just hopeing to catch something but never a bite in the winter. above the dam a man can do quite well, I have caught fish from right above the dam all the way to the steam plant. Even out of the cario access can be good. Hope this helps, there are tons of cats in old hick.

4. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    i heard a rumor they were catching white bass and crappie below OH dam..anyone know anything bout that?

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    ihave always heard and years ago caught a few myself on the old hickory side of the dam behind the lock up in the rocks. But I haven't heard anything from anyone.

6. tnvol

tnvol New Member

State:
    Clarksvill
    I've never done any good at Old Hick. I've fished it quite a bit over the years and never caught much. I havent been there for a long time though.

7. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    went yesterday with my daughter..the water was up and very fast..they had three generators going and the spill gates were open as well....under normal circumstances i would have gone but with my daughter it wasn't safe so we went on the lake side..the water was 52 degrees and the lake level was high as well...drowned a few worms on a bobber and caught a few bluegills and a largemouth..gonna head below the dam next weekend weather providing..

8. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    i finaly made my way up to old hickory dam today this morning, saw probvably 10 guys on the lock side up by the rocks throwing jigs and saw no fish caught except maybe a few perch, so went across the other side saw 2 asians fishing wih no action, the water to me looked like it was rolling pretty good, but i haven't ever been there so don't know how normal that was, talked to some catters trying to get shad for some cut bait at the boat ramp they came up empty, they had stated to me that they do pretty good on the blues up there when the water warms a bit more, ill be finding out for myself on my next saturday off

9. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I will probably be heading to the OH dam friday morning to see if I can catch some skips and whitebass. Anyone is welcome to join me, always like company.:cool2: Often it seems that after a good rainfall, the fish stack up by the creekmouth.

10. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    what time are you going, i;d like to go with somebody if we don't get rained out, after i get off work in the morning

11. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    not sure if i'll get too..i'm not all about getting wet..might go sunday instead..i gotta play it by ear right now..but if i go saturday it'll be in the morning time bout 8 or so..:cool2:

12. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Not sure if I'll be able to go anymore. The wife gave me a "to-do" list again. If I'm not there, you might want to try the Hendersonville side of the dam. When you walk down the steps from the parking lot, there is a creek that flows into the river. So far, in my experience, after it rains, white bass and skips stack up by the mouth. I catch em by throwing chart. or white twistertails. If I don't see any of ya'll, good luck!

13. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    Didn't get to go..i gotta pick my battles and with the rain and already high/fast water i know i'll be there next weekend for sure..hope yall killed um if u went..:confused2:

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Even as bad as the water is the skips are in there pretty thick I filled to big buckets quick

15. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    Are the flood gates still open or is it just generators going? glad to hear the skips are in there thick..should be about time to start killin um..can't wait till this weekend...:tounge_out:

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Both were this afternoon but after this rain it should be wild down there for a few days. I caught about 20 pretty quick but then the storm moved in. You should be able to find them pretty quick they are in the swifter water they don't want anything to do with the slack water on the edges.

17. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    WOW :eek:oooh: water was at a rate of 63,000 cubic feet a second..woulda needed a 6 man wight water rafting team to get out there this weekend..water was cresting from speed as far as i could see...needless to say i didn't even launch:sad2:...should be good after the water level stablizes but it might be a couple weeks..old hickory lake is up about 5 feet or so.. good luck

18. Catfishnewbie08

State:
    TN
    Think it would even be possible to fish from the bank at the dam right now? I have off work Thurs and Fri, so am thinking about going. Think the water will calm down a bit by than...at least slow enough to cast and retrieve a lure in?

19. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    the water being released has been cut in half..it's still high and fast but you should be able to cast from shore by friday or saturday i would think..but with the weatherman callin rain on friday who knows how much more water they'll let out then..good luck