Old Hickory Catfishing

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by heavystringer, Feb 14, 2009.

1. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    The weather was pretty great yesterday but my partner and I just couldn't seem to get it together.We tried ledges and some humps with cut shad. We were unable to get any skips around Gallatin Steam Plant. Talked to a few other guys out there on the water and it seemed the general rule was that nobody was setting the hook. Anyone out there doin any good on Old Hickory? Thanx

2. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    The skips are there. I went couple weeks ago and it took a while to catchem. I got one in the boat missed two. They are not in there thick like usual.
    Cumberlandcat has had some luck on Old Hick.

3. master_cat

master_cat New Member

State:
    tennessee
    i went to steamplant thursday cought about 11 skips then i went down past flippers i cought 2 had lots of bites all they would do is peck at it wasnt much current

4. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    The rule for where I am fishing is small, small bait is all they are taking. The blues don't seem much interested in large bait right now

5. Scott C.

Scott C. Member

State:
    NKY

Hey gang -new to the board and I've read enough to know this is a good place! I do most of my cattin on the Ohio River - Markland pool, but stripers are my true passion. I plan to fish around Gallatin Thursday-Sunday (first time there) this coming week and have heard from several that fishing is slow and the jacks are tough (but can be caught as you mentioned above). My question is when the jacks get finicky what do you guys do to catch em? It looks like the canal is about 1/2 mile long - do you concentrate right at the discharge or can they be caught throughout the canal? I read a post earlier about catching them near the skimmer wall. Is the skimmer wall the long concrete barrier blocking boats from going into the intake canal (up river from the out flow canal)? Are gizzard shad easy to catch around this area?

Lots of questions I know but I'm driving 4 hours to fish it for the first time and all I have to go on is good people on discussion boards and google earth.

Thanks in advance to any replies.

Scott

6. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    i had no trouble catching shad with a throw net..just didn't get any skips..i just troll around with a trolling motor till i get over a good school..1 or 2 good throws and you'll have plenty to go fishin..good luck let me know how you do..thanx:smile2:

7. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    You can catch skips at the skimmer wall when the weather warms up. They hit right around dusk. Not any huge quantities. When its colder try the discharge side. Yes the skimmer wall is what you are talking about on the intake side. You can tie your boat to the wall and climb on top of it and just start casting on the plant side into the current. Ive had the best luck with a small roostertail. Dont reel fast just slowroll it. Nobody has ever said anything to me about fishing off the wall and there are no signs saying you cant fish there like on the discharge side. Whichever side you fish allow extra time to catch skips. Sometimes you get lucky and they hit quick and other times it takes a while.
    Good luck

8. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have been catching a few out in the front of the SP channel. Last time I went We caught a ton in a hour or so. I am going to hit the lake tomorrow, I let you guys know what I catch. I haven't had bad day this year yet, and I doubt tomorrow is going to suck. I have down sized my hooks to 6/0 circle and it has seemed to improve my hookups lately. And have down sized my baits to a one inch cube. And have caught many fish over 25lbs on that set up.

9. Dropoff

Dropoff New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Me and a buddy went a week ago skips were in the steam plant we caught several only caught 2 cats there was no current that day hard fishing

10. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    I've only been to the steam plant once myself with Crappietime, but I know from what people have told me, you shouldn't really bother trying to fish the canal on the weekend since its loaded with boats. I would try to catch as many bait as you can on thursday before the weekend rush starts and fish outside of the canal the rest of the weekend.

Good luck and let us know how you do!

11. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    We went out saturday and boy do I have to eat my words it really sucked. The wind was blowing from the north one second and from the west the next. I think we only had 3 fish in the boat at noon, it took forever to catch skips. But I finally found a hole that had some fish in it around 3 and we have constant action until 5. We probably caught 8 fish outa that hole with about 25 missed bites. They were biting light. I would get them half way up and they would come off, not something I have a problem with very often with circle hooks. But we got a few fish in the boat so I can't complain to much but I am sure you all know after a few hours of that wind messing with the boat in bad wind, it gets to ya and down right pisses a guy off.

12. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    heading out tommorrow to try up by the gallatin steamplant..gonna look for some structure and give it a try..let yall know how i do tommorrow night..:wink:

13. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    25 feb 09 - i went to the gallatin steam plant.. we caught bait pretty quick (shad). no skips..Went up stream up around bledsoe creek..lost a really nice blue..really nice for me..bout upper teens maybe 20 lbs...that was it as far as cats go..caught a few white bass and a drum..still not getting on those cats..:sad2:..but at least i didn't get skunked again..the water had pretty good current..strong even in some areas and a lot of junk floating in the water..had a south west wind that had the lake white capping..had current one direction and wind from the oposite direction..that sux..water was 45 degrees..good luck:wink:

14. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Going to go out tomorrow, gonna try up stream from the steam plant and give that a try, never had much luck up there but with the wind I am thinking I will be able to stay out of it. Let ya'll know how I do tomorrow night. I need to catch another big channel to kick everyone of the hall of fame. A couple of weeks ago we caught one well over 20lbs and never took a pick. When I looked at the hall of fame and saw that it was at 9lbs I was upset.

15. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    You should have all 3 places on the channels bro! I know I sure do miss Old Hickory so bad it hurts sometimes. I've got some good fishing here in Western Kentucky....but when you fish a body of water for over 25 years and then you move 100 miles away it hurts!!!! I sure am glad that you all are catching some good fish. I love to hear the reports. Keep up the good work and have a blast catching them bigguns.:cool2:

16. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    i went out and first off slammed the skips biguns too. I was catching so many I decided to fix up the side box. I fishing up stream from the steam plant, first spot caught 3 fish a decent blue maybe 15lbs. and some small cahnnels. Then I tried up by the intake wall caught one little dink. Moved back down by the plant and caught a few more little guys and called it quits with the rain and being soaked to the bone/ no rain gear and the wind picked up. But not a bad day for trying out some new holes.

17. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    cumberland cat, chris, where's the steamplant? is that the dam below old hickory, i'm down here by percy, and can't get any help on where to go, so i guess ill drive upto old hickory or the cumberland, i know we got rain in the forcast this week, but where might i be able to do some bank fishing for some cats, or get some shad, catch some skips, anything in that nature would help greatly ill try out sometime this week, maybe, thatnks alot

18. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    There is a steam plant in Gallatin , on old hickory lake, there is one in Cumberland City too but thats a drive. We went yesterday morning and caught about 10 skips in a hour not so great but last time I went I filled up a live box full. Cats were slow around that area but by noon I found them and we slammed them we got 2 that were pretty good for that lake in my opinion. One around 20lbs and one around 40 to 50 Scale was dead so don't know for sure. But is was a good day funny thing was We caught thos bigger fish in about 10 feet of water on the top of a channel ledge. I also found a deep ledge and caught 25 fish in a couple of hours and missed probably 50 hits. They were biting really wierd little nibbles and once I finally get one hooked it would end up being a 10lber couldn't figure it out, I was using tiny tiny baits the size of a dime hope this helps.

19. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    11 feb 09 went yesterday by myself..lake was 47 degrees to 51 degrees..shad were easy to get at the steamplant..didn't get any skips.. i give up on the lake..all you guys out there killin um must know something i don't..:eek:oooh: this river rats getting back in the creek and leavin the pond to yall real fishermen.. :smile2: good luck

20. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I went today around 4:30 pm to Chutes Branch off the bank to catch some skips.Caught 30 in 3 hours and they weren't small.Huge skips at least 15-16 inches.Had a tight line out too with a piece of cut up skip but didn't get a nibble the whole time..Caught a couple crappie and largemouths too but not a single cat..