Old Hick Dam?

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by cattracker13, Aug 18, 2009.

1. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Anyone seen any action below OH Dam. Buddy of mine said he heard they are catching Stripers.

2. Catfish_Scooter

Catfish_Scooter New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I havent been there in man.... i'd say a few months. I know the skips would be there if you needed bait, but striper sounds pretty fun knowing ive never caught one over 2 lbs before. Anyhow I may try to go down there soon with some skipjack and try for the blues.:wink: Thanks for sharing a thread update on the dam.

3. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    I was down there Saturday before last and there were quite a few boats out there drifting. I did see a mixture of catfish and striper being realed in, nothing big though. Mostly saw fish in the 2-3 lb range. We had live shad from the bank but only managed to catch 2 in the 13-14" range.

4. tangell88

tangell88 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    was down there about 2 weeks ago catching bait and saw 4 stripers in the 5-10 lb range caught in about 2 hours

5. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Went there this am at sunrise to see if there was any action. Fish off the bank near the wall. Nobody was there. I caught a 1 walleye or mabey a sauger. I dont know what it was. I know it had a nice set of chompers in its mouth. Anyway...no action down there.

6. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Thanks for all of the reports guys.. it's nice to know whats going on day to day. We should post reports more often as slow as fishing is to let eachother know where some action is. :embarassed:

7. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Went down to the boat ramp down by the large holding tanks and fished. Fished with skips this time. Caught a big drum and a turtle. Couple other guys caught a few small cats. No luck guys. sorry. Only out there for a couple hrs. It was good to be fishing.

8. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    Well at least you caught something. Thanks for the report. How big was the drum??:smile2:

9. Catfishnewbie08

Catfishnewbie08 New Member

State:
    TN
    If the bottom tip of the tail had a white spot, its a walleye. If it had dark brown splotches all over its body, its likely a sauger. Hope this helps.

10. offshore_angler

offshore_angler New Member

State:
    SW TENNESSEE
    the stripe's r really biting good there. i caught 2 on cut bait about 15 pounds a piece...ive also seen them being pulled in from boats using yellow tail as bait...hope this helps

11. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    I went early this am to the dam and had no fish in the boat. Used rooster tail did not even catch a skip. I fished all over below the dam, in the current and no current. Fished near the boils. Spent a good 3hrs hunting them. I dont know what it was. Prob my presentation. I saw some guys on saturday catching stripers out in the middle in a boat. Looked like they were throwing spoons and roostertails. I hit same area they were in. Mabey its the weather, it got warm today early. i dont know.
    Yesterday eve I took my boat and hit Cunningham island and got skunked there too. I fished all around the island. There were fish all over the radar. Not even any decent bites. Used cut bait. Hopefully in a month or so it will cool down more and mabey this will help. Sorry guys , wish I had better news.

12. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Are you getting into any deep holes John??As in 30' ++??

13. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    If the roostertails don't work for the skips try some jigs and curly tails. They tear them up around the lock wall. If that dont work try some dollflies.:wink:

14. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    This is going to sound dumb. But what is a yellow tail? And When I get back I would love to make a trip to old hick dam. Anyone interested? I love striper fishing.

15. cattracker13

cattracker13 New Member

State:
    tennessee
    Below OH there are not many deep holes. That area below the dam averages 20ft. The river is av. 15ft deep for the first mile or two.
    No I did not target any deep holes up by cunningham island. It was mainly drop offs. That seemed to be the place the majority of the fish were on the radar.

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yellow tail is another name for threadfin shad..I would be interest in hooking up..Though I think Percy Priest or Cordell Hull would be better for stripers..I've never caught a big striper before and have limited experience with them..I can see in your album Andrew that your well accustomed to catching big stripers..Where are you gonna be stayin @ when you get home??Are you gonna be @ FT. Campbell??
    Bet there deep John..Especially during daylight hours..You won't really see them on your electronics cause they'll be hugging the bottom..Not sure what kinda of electronics you have but if it shows the bottom look for lil bumps down there and thats typically where they'll be..

17. festus

festus New Member

Yep, according to TWRA, the biggest striper in TN was caught on Cordell Hull by Ralph Dallas, 65 lb. 6 oz. I think this is the same fellow who caught another one which held the world record in 1988, 60 lb. 8 oz. at Bull Run Steam Plant on Melton Hill Lake in East TN. This record was soon broken by someone in California. The striper on Bull Run was caught on a 20" long shad in the dead of the winter. This is only about a 20 minute drive for me to this area at Bull Run. I can't wait for winter and try it myself. I'm sure there's still some in there. Dern good place for catfish, too.:cool2:

18. Catfish_Scooter

State:
    Tennessee
    I went to the Wilson County Fair yesterday and was walking down the midway and saw a local guides tent setup I knew who he was right off the bat.. he does radio broadcasts some mornins on the radio, and he said below the dam at OH the stripers/cats are tearin lines up. He's Doug Markham for those who didn't know him. :wink: Stop by if your at the fair.. let him know Aaron told ya.

19. festus

festus New Member

Hey AJ, do you know if these radio broadcasts are on the Internet? We have an outdoor show up here in East Tennessee, but not this time of year because of the TN Smokies baseball broadcasts. :angry: I like to hear local outdoor talk on the radio. Whenever baseball season is over, it will resume. I used to live in Hartsville and Carthage several years ago and still love the area around Cordell Hull and Old Hickory. At one time I had a chance to work at Gallatin Steam Plant, but opted to come home to Kingston Steam Plant.

20. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee