old hick dam

Discussion in 'TENNESSEE RIVERS TALK' started by South Grand Laker, May 31, 2009.

1. South Grand Laker

South Grand Laker New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Went down today to the dam, my first real day of fishing there i was all the way up by the wall it looked like they were generating 2 boils about midway was about 3 boats up there and one boat that was in the middle just to the side of the running water was hooking up with a cat about every 5 minutes , looked to be straight down dropshotting bottom bumping up and down, i didn;t see them land anythihgn better then maybe 8lbs though, i however was stuck on the wall fishing over the top of some people and i caught 8 cats in a few hours some channels and one descent blue that went right at 12.13 something close to 13lbs and then one boat had to pull up and anchor directly over the top of where i was casting, and it's hard to fish with all the drift logs that stayin that swirl anyways might hit it again in a few days

2. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    went again today up at the dam for a few hours, caught about 15 blues none over 8lbs just good eater size today, and then to top it off i caught aabout a 8lb sturgeon, any of you ever seen a sturgeon caught off the dam, they told me i must of got lucky and should of took a pic but i released it as soon as i unhooked it, even had a grizzly haired long haird dude that guides on the river come and asked me what i was using from the boat off the generaters i explained i have only fished there one time in my life since i'm from oklahaoma i guess i should of took some pics so he chould of took to his bait shop

3. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    QUOTE=South Grand Laker;1479294]Went down today to the dam, my first real day of fishing there i was all the way up by the wall it looked like they were generating 2 boils about midway was about 3 boats up there and one boat that was in the middle just to the side of the running water was hooking up with a cat about every 5 minutes , looked to be straight down dropshotting bottom bumping up and down, i didn;t see them land anythihgn better then maybe 8lbs though, i however was stuck on the wall fishing over the top of some people and i caught 8 cats in a few hours some channels and one descent blue that went right at 12.13 something close to 13lbs and then one boat had to pull up and anchor directly over the top of where i was casting, and it's hard to fish with all the drift logs that stayin that swirl anyways might hit it again in a few days[/QUOTE]

Boats have to show a little respect to bankermen. I would have been prettty ill if I was you

4. brandonnash

brandonnash New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    A sturgeon is a real find for TN. They've been stocking for a while, but you hardly ever hear of anybody catching one. I know I'd love to. Hopefully with more stocking we could get some biguns like they got up in the northwest. That would be some great fishing.

5. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    The guy who looked really rough, was a he a skinny guy, he probably was mark he owns the bait shop. I have spent some time on the river and lake and have never heard of or seen a sturgon come from the water.

6. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    i dunno about the rough dude, who knows, sure enought 100% a sturgeon, i wouldn't of believed it myself if i was tripping on acid or something, check and see when they have released them i guess it's far and few between, aint that something, i spend one day on that river and catch a rarity, and some folks have fished that river for years

7. LiveWire

LiveWire New Member

State:
    LaVergne, Tennessee
    I've heard they have been stocking the sturgeons here in TN. I have yet to see one for myself though. Good catch and thanks for throwin' him back!

8. heavystringer

heavystringer New Member

State:
    Tn
    well i been doin pretty good down at the dam..putting an average of 100 pounds of channels in the boat in a couple of hours..using cut skips..however i went this saturday and boated 1 cat.(13 lbs 7 oz channel) but that was it..the thing i've noticed with OH dam is they're in their thick or pretty much not at all..from past experiances i say it's over for the spring run..it was short lived this year but with the wtaer all screwed up like it was what can you expect..hope yall hook um:wink:

9. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    i also went sunday caught one small blue, one drum, and about 6 skips, with no one else catching anything else either

10. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I believe it's over down there for the year. It was good for a couple weeks but I have tried and ended up with close to nothing myself.

11. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    guys went out yesterday and for about 2 hours before dark you can put a hurtin on those hybrids right off the wall where the rocks start, throwing about a 2 inch to 3 inch whole shad , if you can battle it out with all the asians, they dramatically stop biting about 45 mintutes before dark, gonna go again today and see if i can land a few more, oh and the baby blues are pretty thick up against the wall again as well

12. South Grand Laker

State:
    Oklahoma
    i think i read somewhere were some folks said the spawn was over, i think you ought to try again or not give up so soon, we sacked the blues today, up on the damn, no big ones but had about 4 over 10lbs all stacked up, i released all of them, all caught on cut shad chunks

13. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats not bad for the blues down there, I wanna say my biggest is probably a few pounds down there. How many did you end up with total?

14. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Can you fish afterdark here from the bank? Either side. Hendersonville or Old Hickory side.
    I believe both sides are city or state parks. Do they kick you out at dusk?

15. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    I was down there Tuesday till well after dark and there were still plenty of people there. I was on the Hendersonville side, but there were a few groups of people on the other side still there also. Fyi, headed back down tomorrow after work to try again. Caught my first blue down there on Tuesday. 15lb baby for this area, but was my PB. Look me up if any of you come down. I usually drive my little black Nissan 200SX SE-R so if you see it in the lot I'm down there somewhere.

16. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I really hate to go down there and it sucks too cause there's some good fish over there but watch your stuff..There are some sneaky vandals down there that won't hesitate to destroy your windows and steal your stuff while your down there..Just wanna give you all fair warning..Last time I went it cost me almost 500 bucks thanks to them jackball vandals..

17. 01ssrms

01ssrms New Member

State:
    TN
    Yeah, I kinda got the feeling stuff like that might happen down there. That's one of the reasons I take my little old beater car, though it does have an alarm on it. Don't think I would want to take the Camaro down.

There were guys fishing with plastic bottles as reels there yesterday. Was interesting and looked like they were just catching some gills.

18. lforet2002

lforet2002 Well-Known Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Yeah thats another thing I hate about down there..They put all kinds of line on a bottle then when there finished they leave all there crap and stuff down there..I've also fell flat on my face on them rocks cause some jackball left his bottle of line for me to get all tangled into..I go down there every once and a blue moon but I always keep my head on a swivel..

19. TITANSFAN2104

TITANSFAN2104 New Member

State:
    Smith county TN
    exactly where yall talkinh about??

20. Greasy Ham

Greasy Ham New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Talking about old hickory dam. I think it is a little bit seedier as far as who is down there on the Old Hickory side.
    I've never been on the Hendersonville side but was going to try it.
    You said you were going down today. I thought about it, but it looks like it's fixing to rain. I will probably wait and go tomorrow. Green and silver F-150 if you see me.
    Unless it's raining of course.
    Thanks for answering my question yall.

Titans fan here is a map of where we're talking about.
    http://maps.google.com/maps?rlz=1C1...endersonville&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

Last edited: Jul 10, 2009