Old Harbor Knives: Any one using them?

Discussion in 'Misc Fishing Tackle Talk' started by Snakerivercat, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Hello All,
    Been a long time since I posted on here. Good to be back. I was wondering if anyone is using Old Harbor Knives? I saw the add in the alert center on the side. I'm looking for a heavy bladed knife that will cut big sucker heads,trout heads, and carp heads off with out beating up my hands to much. I looked at there Chop Knife and it looks pretty good. I haven't seen them in person yet. Maybe a small cleaver would be better? Do you guy's have any suggestions? I'd appreciate the suggestions. Thanks SRC

2. catfishcrazy256

catfishcrazy256 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Welcome Jason

3. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    Try a cheap bread knife. They work like a charm!:wink:

4. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Jason Welcome back to the BOC. I can't answer your question.

5. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks C.L. I'll give it a go. Thanks Mickey even though you couldn't answer my question. I appreciate all the welcomes.:big_smile:

6. Snagged2

Snagged2 New Member

State:
    Verde Valley AZ
    I have to say, I haven't seen those knives either, But, when I have heavy cutting to do, I use a lightweight hatchet, i keep it right in my tackle box.. It's standard size, all metal construction w/ leather handle.. but the head is very thin,about thick as a file. so It's not too heavy ,, but, easy to swing..Use the backside to whack cats, if I'm gonna butcher them.
    But, a lightweight cleaver might be a bit better, or some of the meat cutter deckboat knives from Forschner, etc.

And, Welcome Back:big_smile:

7. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Snagged2, Now that you mention a small hatchet. I did see a short handled Gerber brand at the local sporting good store. That may be the ticket. Knives of Alaska makes a small cleaver/skinner but the price is high. I'll also check out those Forschner knives too. C.L.'s bread knife just might do the trick. Serrated but may be a little flimsy for a big carp head. Thanks

8. tswebb71

tswebb71 New Member

State:
    So. IL
    Jason, welcome back!!! Anyway, as to your question, i have an Old Harbour serrated blade and love it. the serration isn't as course as bread knives. They are excellent knives.

9. Snakerivercat

Snakerivercat New Member

State:
    Idaho
    Thanks Scott for the info. They do look nice. The handles look good. Did yours come with a sheath of any type? I can't find where it says on the website if a sheath is included. Thanks again.

10. Jacksmooth

Jacksmooth Member

State:
    West Virginia
    I havent used the bread knife on carp but have used it on shad, suckers, chubs, and blugills. We use it just to cut up bait. Works real well. Welcome back!!