Old Gas Disposal?

Discussion in 'Boating' started by Storm27m, Apr 18, 2008.

1. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    I bought a boat over the winter and it came with a full tank of gas/oil mixture (6 gal). I don't know how long it has been sitting or whether stabilizer was added. It started the motor just fine but I don't really want to run the whole tank through it. Any ideas on what to do with the old gas. I'd rather do a proper disposal somewhere rather than just burn it or pour it out. Any ideas?

2. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    I'd probably just split it between two 5 gal cans, mix some new gas in each and use it for the lawnmowers...

3. handyronokc

handyronokc New Member

State:
    Oklahoma ( Central )
    I think old gasoline can be disposed anywhere used oil can be disposed of.

4. Storm27m

Storm27m New Member

State:
    Wichita, Kansas
    Thanks. I'll have to call the auto stores to see if they'll take it.

5. psychomekanik

psychomekanik New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Do you know anyone with an old chevy truck? they'll run on paint thinner. lol

6. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County

Yepp thats the ticket right there!

7. Mark J

Mark J New Member

State:
    Four Oaks, NC
    Yall must not have fireants in Kansas.:smile2:

8. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    If you know anybody that uses those 'Tiki Torches' for camping, they'll probably take it if you tell them you can mix the old gas at least 50/50 with used oil and burn it just fine in the torches. You can actually use a good bit more oil than that, but don't use a higher concentration of gasoline. The fuel they sell for those torches is the same thing they use in oiil lamps, and it goes for $2-$3 a quart.

9. Jerry60k

Jerry60k New Member

State:
    Chelyan, West V
    Lol or Poison Ivy I use old gas to kill of poison ivy anywhere it may sprout up.

10. Mike81

Mike81 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Works good on yellow jacket holes too...:big_smile:

11. cantstopgrandma

cantstopgrandma New Member

State:
    MD
    Best thing you can do is mix it with some old oil and take it to a recycling station (or auto parts store). I was told in auto tech (back when i was in high school) that the only thing they dont want much of in them things is water/coolant. Everything else in a car is fine.

12. Grimpuppy

Grimpuppy New Member

State:
    Concordia, KS
    Living in Wichita, you may know someone that goes to Little Sahara (Wynoka). If you know any one that does, they will take it off your hands to run in their 2 stokes. Or if you know anyone with a chain saw, give them a ring, they may take it. At $3.50 a gallon, hate to see you throw it out if someone can use it.

13. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    ide offer it in the paper as economy gas. probably get $2,00 a gal for it.:smile2:

14. tofish

tofish New Member

State:
    arizona
    so you bought a boat, and never asked last time used? call him and ask!!!! i've used gas that sat with gas for over a yr and had no problem. i'd take that gas, divide into 3's, add fresh with oil and use. or if you live on farm area, kill weeds if you're really cocerned.
    gary

15. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    gas usually gets a turpintine smell or just dont smell right when its bad or real old. a lil sta-bil and adding to some fresh prob wont hurt a thing. and if it was full sounds like a fella that used it more than a time or two a year. he was most likley preparing for the next trip that just didnt come. but a simple call would do the trick like tofish said. with gas at $3.50 a gal ide rather make a call than dump $25 worth of perfectly good gas. JMO!

16. tkoehler

tkoehler New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    found a 5 gal. can the other week in the garage that had stabilizer. around three years old , worked great when father in law needed some !!! ha ha

17. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    gas hit $3.75 today. ill buy it from ya. $5.00 for the can + shipping lol.:roll_eyes:

18. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I put my old gas in a garden sprayer an use it as weed and brush killer ,What the EPA dont know dont hurt me :crazy::big_smile:

19. tntitans21399

tntitans21399 New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I would think if you added seafoam and added 93 octane in the tanks you would be good. If you don't want to do that I would use it for your weed eater.