Old Frozen Shad

Discussion in 'Shad Talk' started by ccat, Nov 29, 2008.

1. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    I have read a lot about using Frozen shad. Here is an idea if your shad get mushy or just don't seem to work.
    I had about 8 quart ziploc bags of year old shad. They had started turning black and mushy. Instead of throwing them away, I used them for chum.
    I always keep mesh bags. I had a few that popcicles came in and just got the mesh bag our Thanksgiving turkey came in.
    I put 3 or 4 bags of shad (out of ziploc bag ofcourse) into these mesh bags and chumed a cove I jugged about a month ago. I only caught 4 channel cats that next morning, but would like to think the chumming helped. I have been stockpiling these bags and will use them next spring when jugging picks up.
    I hope this helps.
    ccat

2. ho_shi

ho_shi New Member

State:
    Texas
    i always wondered bout grindin em up and addin some cattails and seasonin and usin for punch bait my self

3. ccat

ccat Well-Known Member

State:
    Fayetteville Ar
    Yeah, I have heard about people grinding stuff up, binding it with cattails to make dough balls, or punch bait.
    I just figure shad shouldn't go to waste.

4. PHLIPS4BIGKATS

PHLIPS4BIGKATS New Member

State:
    Alma Kansas
    AJ I do that but add a little flour sometimes a little anis oil to. It makes a quik easy punch bait.