Old Ford

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Phil Washburn, Nov 5, 2007.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    ok all you relics on here:big_smile:, have a gander. this old heap was brought in to me a couple of days ago. it has been barn stored for years. the hood and grill was stolen while it was in the barn.

the owner is a woman whose dad bought it new. the flatbed, sideboards, and winch/gin poles were factory installed at his request. notice the nice job of cutting the rear fenders for the flatbed.

the owners brother said the last time he checked a few years ago, it wasn't firing. it is either a 37 or 39 model, depending on who you believe. i will know by the time i get this piece running.

the original owner had a wrecking yard and he bought this to use there. the wood sideboards and bed supports are original and factory ford...quite an unusual truck, wouldn't you say?:big_smile:

Attached Files:

2. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    more pics...........

Attached Files:

3. postbeetle

postbeetle New Member

State:
    Iowa
    How far they want you to take it? Those tires in that third picture look new.

4. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    and yet a couple more:big_smile:

Attached Files:

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    That last pic was the one I was waiting for...the REAL Flathead V8. Wonder why she won't fire lmao. Got any particular plans for the truck? Resto, or just get it running, and go from there?

6. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have to start it..if it doesn't start, it may go on ebay, Matt:wink:

the distributor is mounted on the crank. i have a battery coming in the morning. if it isn't firing i will pull the radiator to access the distributor:smile2:

7. jdstraka

jdstraka Well-Known Member Supporting Member

State:
    Council Bluffs, Iowa
    Name:
    John
    Phil Thats A Project You can HANDLE Sir.Gosh between Fishing Gear and Hot Rods I Would be Broke if it Was not For the Better Half Handling the bank account!!!! God I Love That Woman(Some Times) J.D.:wink:

8. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    if it it cranks, they are gonna want to go a ways on it. the motor is not locked up so i am confident it will run with a little TLC..that and money:wink:

i have customers ask me: "can you fix it?"...my standard response is.."if you have enough money and patience i can fix anything"

:smile2:

don't know how old the tires are...they are losing air sitting in my drive, so they aren't new...but there are no age cracks in them. i'm thinking they were probably put on a couple of years ago in anticipation of repairs that never materialized.

9. olefin

olefin New Member

State:
    Texas
    Neat pictures Phil! I'll be looking for updates on your progress.

Speaking of flatheads. :big_smile:

Attached Files:

10. PeZ

PeZ New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Wow cool old truck. Thanks for post the story and pics about it.

:big_smile:

11. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    dayton that aint fair :confused2:
    we need to see more of that !!!!

phil a friend of mine here in illinois just went to iowa for a flathead
    to replace a bad one in an old ford car he is redoing .
    i will try and see if he has a couple pics of his project .
    my camera is still unable to transfer pics to my computer so i cant take them myself. phil you need to scrawl a little monicker sayin phlathead phil was here:wink:

by the way thats a neat lookin old truck thanks for sharing the pics

12. bootshowl

bootshowl New Member

State:
    Indiana, J
    Boy wish that unit could talk. Look under the seat for that ol S&W 38/44 triple lock and see if it's there.
    Thanks for sharing.

13. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    Nice old truck,Phil. I always wished for an old beater like that . I have never been able to find or more importantly afford one as of yet.

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    THe big shock to you young whippersnapper is going to be that there is no place for you to hook up your computer to tell you what is wrong and what to do to fix it.You are going to have to "go relic",think and figure out something for your self.He he,ho,ho,ha ha! OK now.What I know that a old Ford mechanic would do!The first thing a 1938-40 Ford mechanic would do is pull each plug and put a table spoon full of MARVEL MYSTERY OIL in each cylinder.The second would be to drain the oil and fill it back up with NON-Detergent 30 weight oil with 20% MARVEL MYSTERY OIL so that you won't wipe the bearings.The third would be to hand crank it through the system before you even try to start it or you may wipe the bearings anyway.Being that it was not froze up,that may have been done years ago when it was set up.Do you have the tools to do and can you pour and shape bearings?(Yea I have!)Also,you will have to put some type of "Lead substitute" in the gas or you will ruin the valve seats.Good luck on the rust in the fuel system.Some of those old engines would run off of a high mounted gas can and hose.I use to have to climb a ladder up into a tree with a gas can to fill the tank for a old Band saw portable sawmill.It took a lot of climbing with what a kid could tote each trip,to keep that thing running.I was glad when they took up and moved.Look up the "Ford Flathead V8 Site".You might find it a help if you are not jam up to date on those modern engines.I see it is still 6 volt.A lot of folks converted from 6-12 volt when ever possible.Bad wiring due to the insulation breaking down was a big problem with old set up engines,This is what I have helped that old man do to start one that had been set up.He claimed to have worked on both of the Model A Fords.Yep,there was two,with a lot of years in between.He said that he started out working on them at his family's Blacksmith shop.My Daddy taught me to "See"when I looked.Most people look but only "see"what attracts their attention or what they are interested in.It amazes me how much comes back to me when something triggers it,yet I can't think rationally on my medication.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee ps,if you have trouble finding the computer,fuel injectors,electronic ignition,inserts,air conditioner or the catalytic converter,I can't help you.

15. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Phil, Go ahead and fix up my new repo truck!

I bet that is the biggest flathead you've ever brought to the house! :wink:

16. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    Thats a neat looking old truck. Looks like you have some fun times ahead of you figureing her out. Keep us informed as to your progress.Have Fun!!

17. jeremiad

jeremiad Well-Known Member

Name:
    Unspecified
    That ol' truck will sure look good all fixed up, I'm sure...

Now, don't forget to paint her pink, draw a big BOC catfish on her, and you'll be ready for the roadtrip to Henderson, Kentucky! :smile2:

18. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Joel if that truck goes to Henderson, Ky. DH will make that truck the fish tank truck. And will start a north-south war.

Thanks Phil that is an interesting project you are working on. Keep us posted on the upgrade. Thanks.