Old Flathead Catfish

Discussion in 'Flathead Catfish' started by cliu, Jul 2, 2008.

1. cliu

cliu Member

State:
    North Carolina
    How long does it take for a flathead to get 40 or 50 lbs.

2. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Well IMO This Is A Pretty Vauge Question There Are A Number Of Things That Play Like Are You Talking There In NC Or Here In The Midwest (Temps), In A River Or In A Lake, Is There Room To Roam And Be Free, What Is It Eatin In The Wild. I Think I Read Somewhere The Base Was 4-15 Pounds A Year I Could Be Wrong. You Might Try Googling It. Hope This Helps.

3. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    From what I've read elsewhere...20 yrs is a REALLY old Flat. I did read where there was one in captivity that was around 23-24 ??? not sure.

4. tomflatcat

tomflatcat New Member

State:
    Hampstead, NC
    I don't think there is any sure way to say how fast a cat grows. I've read it comes down to food availabiliy, water temp and genetics. A 50 pound fish might be the same age as a 10 pound fish in another lake.

5. rob128146

rob128146 New Member

State:
    Rockwell, North Carolina
    I maybe able to shed some light on this subject for you. My best friend is a Fish Bio working for the state of NC. The charts he gave me on Flatties are as follows.

1-3 yrs up to 15 - 16lbs
    5-7 yrs 20 - 27lbs
    9-11 yrs 35 - 40lbs
    13-15 yrs 44 - 50lbs

A 20 yr old flattie is very uncommon by his infomation. And yes it also depends on food sources, area to grow, and also genetics. But by the most part this i beleive and the state is fairly accurate. :0a26:

6. brother hilljack

brother hilljack New Member

State:
    Shelbyville, TN
    Flatheads have been tagged and recorded throughout their habitat. Habitat is the most important variable here as fish will only get as big as the habitat allows. In large waterbodies with unlimited room for growth Flatheads grow very fast. Most are capable acheiving 30 pounds in as little as 10 years and they have been reported to gain up to 10 pounds annually once they reach adulthood.

7. Blacky

Blacky New Member

State:
    Philadelphia, P
    It also depends on the geographic regions too. Flats down south grow at a faster rate because of the long feeding year.

Also it depends if they are native or non-native in the river. Rivers around the country like the Schuykill in PA and Altahama in GA, they seem to grow at an alarming rate.

8. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

THE BOOK I HAVE SAYS

yrs 1 2 3 5 7 9 11 13 15
    LBS 7.5 10.9 14.8 19.3 23.9 28.0 35.5 37.0 40.0

9. LEROYDOZOIS

LEROYDOZOIS New Member

State:
    Arizona

YRS--LBS
    1-----7.5
    2-----10.9
    3-----14.8
    5-----19.3
    7-----23.9
    9-----28.0
    11-----37.0
    15-----40.0

10. JERMSQUIRM

JERMSQUIRM New Member

State:
    il-waynesv
    yep. what ive read says that a flatheads life span is 20ish.

not like turtles. ive read folks mad because a flathead in the 50 lb range was eaten and say it was 60-70 years old. mostly unture.

seems like most that have read in on it are all pretty close.

11. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Here is something to ponder.

Would all flatheads grow equally if given the same habitat?

Or are some just destened to be bigger than others?

12. Redneck1

Redneck1 Guest

I think I read something a long time ago that said catfish will grow indefinetly, if their enviorment will support them. Also back in the 1800's catfish well over 200 pounds were common, but since the larger rivers have been dammed their size has gotten smaller.

13. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I dont know how old they are or how fast they grow. I do know this.......I love to catch the bigguns!!!!!!! Let em go and let em grow!!!!!!!!CPR for the future! :cool2:

14. Eudora

Eudora New Member

State:
    Lambertville, MI
    I've heard from a reliable source that a flathead can eat 15% of its body weight a day. I've also read that flathead catfish are the third fastest growing freshwater fish behind grass carp and silver carp. Flatheads in the Kansas River tend to grow faster than in most bodies of water, for some reason.