Old fishing line clean up (please read)

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by cat tamer, Jul 15, 2007.

1. cat tamer

cat tamer New Member

State:
    MO
    I started this thread to remind everyone the importance of taking your old fishing line and dispose of it properly to prevent a bad situation in our waterways, just to give you a idea of what I came across in a heavly fish area was when I reeled my lines in (5 rods) twice and 7 times I brought in someone elses old line and some of the lines had been in the water long enough that there was hooks half rusted away. the amount of line that I brought in would loosley fill a grocery sack. so here's is a idea for some brainy person, come up with a fishing line that is biodegradable and I will be the first in line to buy it.
    :0a35:

2. dewboy24us

dewboy24us New Member

State:
    Missouri
    i agree. i fish mainly the carlyle spillway and as anyone who fishes there can tell you the rocks aren't the snags you have to watch for. its all the spagetti on the bottom. not to mention the fact that your trippin over it try to get to your fishin hole.
    may sound crazy, but i think if the state would let a few people down there with rosebud torches we cound take care of a lot of it quick. not so sure on the toxic effect though of the melted line.

3. buddah

buddah New Member

State:
    Pennsylvania Wi
    Here is a thought; Pick it up if you see it. you will make the world a better place.

4. txthumper1691

txthumper1691 New Member

State:
    Temple, Tx.
    Being a boy scout in my youth, we were tought top leave a campsight cleaner than you found it. I still to this day follow that motto, when I go fishing on th bank, I always take along a few grocery bags for th trash from some one else just in case. I feel that th way you leave a camp sight or fishing hole or even your car or your work area is a reflection of th way you leave your house. I wouldnt want any one coming over to my house if its filthy, so I try to leave my favorite fishing holes clean.

5. SilencedMajority

SilencedMajority New Member

State:
    White Mtns, AZ
    I'm a true believer in this motto, I take pride in leaving an area I enjoy a bit more pristene than when I found it. I don't see how people can leave their tangles of line on the bank, its just plain irresponsible.

6. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Yep, I carry a couple of garbage bags in my backpack. Usually fill all I have up before I leave. And, strictly as an observation, it seems the majority of the old fishing line I find is either braid or very heavy monofilament. This line usually is not broken off, but cut when the person using it can't get it to break. That is personally one of the reasons I don't think people should fish with that heavy of line. Just my opinion, but I guess you guys who favor the 80 to 100 pound test can jump my case now.

7. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    A couple of years ago I observed two men at Ky Dam with a homemade stick with two nails in it. They were running the stick along the edge of the water hooking and pulling up line with all attachments. I observed them taking off weights, hooks and etc. They would throw the line back into the water. When they were leaving with a load of goodies I asked one why they did not take the old line to the trash. It's of no value he stated. I once suggested that Prisoners on work release should be used to clean our dams of trash. It has yet to take affect. The job will remain in our hands if we want a clean enviorment.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    jigs and heave line works good for retrieveing under water goods. if you dont bring it in the hook straightens out bend it back and go again. ive seen a van full of orange jumpsuits cleaning hillsdales dam a few times:big_smile:

9. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    That is good news on the inmates starting to clean up in some of our states. They have the time and man power to make our dams look good.

10. TA2D

TA2D New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    I try to pick up all line that I see laying around, wrap it around some thing a stick, soda bottle, something and then dispose of it accordingly. On a funny note, I had a spool of 12 lb Big Game outside earlier this summer and a sparrow thought that it would make great nest material... boy was that a pain in the rear to clean up, I bet he took 150 yds and strung it around my yard!

Aaron

T
    A
    D

11. SubnetZero

SubnetZero New Member

State:
    Sherman IL
    What really chaps my butt is when I go to a bank spot, see all the Liver Tubs, old Line, swivel/hook/weight bags laying everywhere with a few drink cans/bottles sprinkled in and there is a 55 Gal trash barrel not even 20 feet away...:angry:

12. lil kat

lil kat New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I have to agree with you subnetzero. I do alot of river fishing here at home and it is a spot everyone fishes and evrytime i go i pick up all kinds of trash, old line, ect. I have thought about taking a barrel down there to put it in, but someone who throws there trash on the ground would steal it. :angry:

13. badkarma

badkarma New Member

State:
    Oxford,Miss
    When I go fishing I go fishing not reel spooling and I don't under stand why anyone would want to.I've been fishing for 50 years and I've never respooled a reel on the bank I do that at home.

14. GUNTZ

GUNTZ New Member

State:
    CLEBURNE texas
    THE BROTHERHOOD IS JUST A DROP IN A BUCKET COMPAIRED TO THE MILLONS OF FISHERMAN OR SHOULD I SAY (LITTER BUGS), BUT IF WE DO R PART IT HAS TO HELP PROTECT OUR LAKES ,SO COME ON BROTHERS AND SISTERS DO YOUR PART AN PICK UP A LITTLE TRASH THANK YOU :0a31:

15. Larry69

Larry69 New Member

State:
    Florida
    There's no trash can on my lake out back, but they do the same thing. Liver tubs, beer bottles, and I've also found two sharp knives that wouldn't have been very nice to step on, or have one of my kids find.

And don't even get me started on the guys who light off all kinds of fireworks and just leave the empty shells and whatnot on the lawn only to get run over by the lawncare guys who won't pick up anything that they can shred to bits. :angry:

I was walking about the shore the other day and saw a turtle just sitting there and went up to catch him, but he didn't try getting away. Turns out he had been hooked and was now tangled up in the weeds, so he couldn't move. Pulled him out, removed the hook and line from his mouth, and placed him back in the water. Wasn't sure if he would make it as he'd probably been there for a while as he appeared weak. But when I walked back by a short time later, he was gone, so hopefully he made it.

Not littering is one of the things I constantly tell my kids and we always pick up any garbage we can around the lake. I won't even spit out the little tag end on the ground, or a pinch off a rubber worm that's gotten torn up. It all goes where it belongs. The trash or recycle bin.

Woke up one day and there must have been a dozen or so softballs floating along the shore. :smile2:

16. bilyjojimbob

bilyjojimbob New Member

State:
    North Carolina
    We used to have a 55 gallon trash can at the dock and a picnic table. Someone stole the trash can or floated it down the river and burn the table and stole the metal legs hoding it up. Unbelievable!

17. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I

In the fall when the river is low, I'll walk the Carlyle spillway with two 2 gallon buckets. I'll fill one bucket with sinkers and "newer" looking lures and the other with old line. I'll usually fill that bucket all the way to the top with old line and discard it. Most people don't realize how much line it takes to actually fill a 2 gallon bucket. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to make a dent :angry:

18. Zombie76

Zombie76 New Member

State:
    Nebraska
    We can rant and rave about this until the end of time but, as it was said in earlier posts, all we can do is our part. I pick up a lot of trash a lakes that I fish. It is annoying but, to take a little time and collect the trash on the ground is realy no big deal. Yes, it would be nice if it was not there in the first place but, I can't prevent it from happening. To all of those who do some cleaning of our/your local fishing areas, we thank you and greatly apreciate it!!

19. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    good deal brother! i also do this when out on the lake or river. maybe, just maybe, someone else might see you doing this some
    time and it might make them think. lead by example.

20. Pirate Jerry

Pirate Jerry New Member

State:
    Yulee Florida
    This item is in use at many boat ramps in Florida.
    Take a 2 foot long piece of 4 inch PVC and cement a cap on one end and an elbow on the other. Take metal plumbers strap and mount the PVC device to any vertical post near the ramp. Mount it with the elbow on top and facing out. Label it "scrap line only". People just stuff old line in the elbow and down into the pipe. It is emptied for recycling when ever full. I think the Fish and Game people take care of them. Might not get all the line but every little bit helps...