Old Evinrude

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by Muddy96, Nov 13, 2005.

1. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I just aquired an old evinrude and do not know the year or horsepower. Any help will be apppreciated. I think it is a 40 hp. Also, if you know the fuel mixture that would help alot.

Model RD23
    Ser. 2220351

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Post the model number.

3. tspergin

tspergin New Member

State:
    newark ohio
    fuel mixture would be 50 to 1

4. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    He did post it Bob ..........

Question....I want to clean the motor of my outboard up with a garden hose and degreaser will it hurt any of the electric componets by doing this

5. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    The cowl is a evinrude. Upon searching the engine I found it to be a johnson.
    THanks

6. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    I found out it is a 1961 40hp johnson. Thanks for the correspondence. Muddy

7. Mr.T

Mr.T New Member

State:
    MO
    "Shouldn't" be a problem. I cleaned my 77 Johnson with no problems. But the only thing electrical is the flywheel, coil packs and rectifier, all of which are pretty much sealed up. If yours is a newer engine with a lot of fancy electrical stuff (fuel injection, onboard computer, etc), you might want to be more careful.

Work quickly and blow it dry with compressed air afterward if you can. You might also want to run it to warm it up and dry it out (with a water supply of course).

And don't get degreaser on any more of it than necessary or let it sit on plastic/rubber parts for any longer than necessary.

8. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Sorry about that guys, I just missed the model number. I see you found it though.

Mr T. nailed the cleaning process.

9. davesoutfishing

davesoutfishing New Member

State:
    Menominee Michigan
    its an old johnson and thanks for the info

10. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    On this motor it has a starter for electic start. I have done some looking and do not see a solenoid any where and the ignition is not wired up at all. I am going to have to rework it. My understand of the starting system tells me that you take a large (6 gauge) wire from the battery to one side of the solenoid and a wire of similar sixe out the other side to the starter. You then connect power to a mometary switch so that when it is closed it send power to the solenoid which will then close the circuit on the solenoid and send power to the starter. Is there anything else you can tell me about it or any precautions I should take. Thanks.

11. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Those engines had a box mounted in the boat that had the solenoid in it. From there the wires ran to the engine, ignition, and battery.

I also believe those solenoids needed to be grounded. An older Ford solenoid works, I think.

12. coach

coach New Member

State:
    Greenville , Ms
    yep bobpaul... fords do work...... i have one on my 1990 johnson.... been on there since 1995.......worked longer on the boat motor than they did on the cars and trucks.........

13. river scum

river scum New Member

State:
    hooterville indiana
    ford solenoid eh,ill have to do that 1!!!!!!! i have a "57" 35hp. lark that i just been jumpin when i got too lazy to pull. lol thanks bob n coach,great idea!

14. Muddy96

Muddy96 New Member

State:
    Winfield, Ks
    Will the stator plate assy from a 1961 evinrude 40hp work on a 61 Johnson 40hp?

15. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    They need to look exactly alike. I think they will interchange.