Old Day J's And Today's J's!!!

Discussion in 'LOCAL OHIO TALK' started by catfishrollo, Oct 29, 2009.

1. catfishrollo

catfishrollo New Member

State:
    Ohio
    Big difference over the years in the modifications made to J-style hooks. I can remember buying hooks by the pack, and ALWAYS opened them to put a hook sharpener on them before rigging up! Nowdays, the latest in how hooks are made, you can virtually fish them like a circle out of the pack. No need to set the hook like you are trying to rip the lips off an ex mother-in-law!!! Simply let the line get tight and rod load to ease into it! Then babies are SHARP! And are keeping a good edge compared to those in the past! I run Gamakatsu's and love them! I think they make the best hook on the market! rollo

2. centexcop

centexcop New Member

State:
    Texas
    I agree. I believe they're stronger than they used to be as well. I definitely don't believe that we are better than the old anglers, but we definitely have choices for better tackle and equipment. I'd love to see my grandfather, or great grandfather fishing today. I've seen pictures of the fish that they caught, and caught often. I think they would have a blast today......

3. katfish ken

katfish ken New Member

State:
    Paintsvill
    It is amazing how much difference there is in fishing tackle in general now and 40 yrs ago. sharper hooks, better reels,rods, line. I can remember the old hooks and still catch myself checking them for sharpness on a thumbnail.

4. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky
    J - ays not what the post was thought to be about not for me ayways lol sorry drank my dinner

5. stangcrazy85

stangcrazy85 New Member

State:
    PerryTucky

yeah good ol gammas are sharp to the core fish after fish no nail test reqd

6. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Technology has made some great strides in fishing tackle. Probably more to come. If we snooze we loose.:wink:

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    who smoked a j? :eek:oooh: