The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I guess I’m old school I use 80lb Dacron or Spectron for flatheads. What are some opinions advantages or disadvantages of Dacron or spectron vs like the new school Power Pro braided line for example for flatheads in heavy cover? Or any other new age thin diameter braid like power pro also. Thanks!

·
Registered
Neill from NW Arkansas
925 Posts
I really can't offer an educated opinion. I am new to targeting catfish. I started using Spiderwire years ago for smallmouth bass due to it's lack of memory, casting ability, and durability. I realize now there are better braids out there. I'm interested in reading what others have to say on here so.....TAG

·
Administrator
10,647 Posts
I can't tell you the the differences between the old Dacron and the new braided line. I can say that the new braided line works well and although the better brand cost a little more, since you can use it for 5 or 6 years you are getting the best deal.

2 cents

·
Registered
5,024 Posts
I don't know all there is to know about braid. 90% of my catfishing is drifting so casting is not a primary concern for me. I have tried several different brands of braid and can't tell any one is better than the other. I like the bright colors, orange, lime, yellow, etc. and have yet to find one that did not bleed when new and fade when used for awhile, some of the cheaper ones bled bad getting dye all over me and my equipment. I agree with Tom on price averaging, while initial spool up may cost more you won't have to do it as often as you would with mono so the price averages out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
There are so many options when it comes to fishing lines. One common question that we hear a lot is, "What is the Difference Between Dacron and Braided Line?" ther are different fins as well FINS: COLOR (BLACK, BLUE, YELLOW) - MZDDF1-BL-XX They may look similar, but there are differences that every sportfishing angler should be aware of before spooling their reel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts