Old coleman stove

Discussion in 'Other Repairs' started by warcraft1975, Apr 2, 2006.

1. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

i have one from the 1960's(and no i am not throwing it away)and it doesnt work anymoremthe pump went to crap,so i replaced it now it pumps very well and gas comes out but it wont lite,i am thinking about just taking it apart and soaking it in somthing to clean it out,what should i soak it in?

2. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    it prolly needs a new generator they aint to expensive replace that and take compressed air and blow out the burners etc and she should work fine

3. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    What about using one of those propane replacement hookups on it? I've got an old coleman too that I was thinkin' about doing this to.

4. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    yea I am sure you can convert one over to propane got to coleman.com and they got all the parts etc and lots of info on thier products. I have a coleman propane stove now got away from the coleman fuel ones while back sad thing is my stove has been used hmm 5 times my new tenet 2 times guess I should get rid of it all since I dont use my camping stuff anymore lol.

5. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    http://www.oldtownyucca.com/coleman/tech/trouble.htm

Tom, if you take a look at the link above it will help you out a lot. You may have a problem with your gas too. If you haven't already done so, dump the old gas out and put new Coleman Fuel in it. Unless it's a dual fuel stove, never use unleaded gas in it. It'll plug it up and ruin that 10 to 15 dollar generator. You can take a pair of channel locks and unscrew the generator and very carefully take it off the long needle inside. Be careful about that really fine wire at the end of it. Bend it and you might as well buy another one. Once you get that tube off, take some steel wool and clean up that needle, not the little wire. Make sure you only run the steel wool from the screw end toward the tip. That way you'll be less likely to mess up that wire. When you get it all back to bright shiny lookin brass, put it back together and try it again. Sometimes you can salvage an otherwise bad generator like that. If that doesn't fix it, then it's probably inside the tank. If you take that apart, just make sure you get it all back together as tight as it came out. Don't soak it in anything. At least not the tank. Oven cleaner will strip the paint right off of it so don't try to clean anything with that. I made that mistake once. LOL Your old generator was probably made of leather. I've never had one that I soaked overnight in motor oil that didn't work again afterwards. But a new one doesn't hurt anything either. Hopefully some of this will help. Make sure you go to that website though, that's where you'll find your real help. And don't be afraid to email the site owner for advice. He loves to help out if he can. And advice is free. LOL Really he's a great person that will help you all he can by email.

6. T-Bone

T-Bone New Member

State:
    South of Dallas
    Bryan thanks for sharing that site. Lots of good info I can use and Tom too.

7. topjimmy

topjimmy New Member

State:
    AZ
    Here is some advice I received on restoring a lantern:

Dump the fuel into a clear container and take note of the color. If it is rusty brown then you need to do some work to the fount. If it is brown when you empty it, first pour alcohol (isopropyl) (SP), swish it around then dump, do this until it comes clean. If it is really bad then pour in some BBs with the alcohol and run them around a bit. Do this until clean. Remove the pump plunger and check the leather if it is still usable then oil it and put it back in. Put in some more alcohol and close the top, pump it up about 30 times then turn the knob, move the little lever around and around, this will help clean out the generator. Just let it run awhile forcing the alcohol through the
    generator.

After awhile you should hear an even hissing sound. Once you achieve
    this then dump out the rest of the alcohol, put in the fuel, pump up the fount and see what happens. You really should have no problems.

8. warcraft1975

warcraft1975 New Member

good advice guys,i will be taking it apart next weekend and checking things over will post how it went,it used to work and it pumps up real good but doesnt have that hissing sound it used to have,maybe bust out a can of carb cleaner out on it

9. kspor

kspor New Member

State:
    Wichita Kansas
    I live near one of their plants. They still make many of the parts for them. I believe they have parts info on their website. I know they ship and repair lots of stuff. I remember delivering repairs when I worked for the post office.

10. Gentleben

Gentleben New Member

State:
    Huffman, Texas
    Merry Chrsitmass!!
    Whistler you got anything on coleman heaters like the Model 512 ,513 o r515??
    :wink:

11. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thanks Brian for the web site. I can use that. Appreciated.

12. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Ben, I've never worked on a heater. Go to the link I posted and email the owner, he'll be happy to help you out with anything he can.

13. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I believe Bryon meant pump plunger washer instead of ( generator ) "was probably made of leather".

Ben! I believe that my heaters are/were 512 or 515.My wife is going to see if we still have them as much was stolen.What info. do you need?

Also in lighting them.In cold weather.Coleman MSDS sheet nows calls for a Zero degree flash point. I think this is for a safety factor.I often had trouble getting it to vaporize and light from the low thirty's on down.I often used Walmart camp fuel in my Coleman duel burner,Coleman single burner Sportsman 508 & 508A's,MSR XGK expedition,and Coleman lanterns and had the same trouble.I just made wicks to soak with alcohol and preheated the generators as I often used my stoves out in our South Georgia severe weather which is nothing like up North.15 was as cold as I have used them.The use of a filter funnel EVERY time kept me almost maintenance free as it does with my gas engines!

The MSR XGK is everything they say and more.I got mine several years after they started making them and had no trouble what so ever and I put it up working 5 years ago.I once lit it and took it out and exposed it to the full exposed force of the wind and rain when I lived at Tybee Island Ga and it stayed lit.I checked before and after with the guys at the Coast Guard Station as they had a wind indicator and were next door to my home.68,yes 68 mph.time we figured it and it stayed lit in a heavy rain.It did burn the hair off my arm.I also lit it outside at -3 and a hard wind when I was on a trip up North just to check it out.You can bet you life on it as many have.I used Gasoline,kerosene,diesel and once 30 weight non-detergent oil just to see for 5 minutes.It done it!Normally Coleman,kerosene,or mineral spirits picked up in a country hardware or general store.It will also burn a mix with the small orifice.Amazing little stove and tough too.

I liked and used the alcohol stoves in Boats as water will put it out in a emergency.We cooked and heated in steel 2 1/2-5 gallon buckets with sand in the bottom of the buckets in the 50's in a boat. I loved you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

14. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    My wife found my 2 heaters.I have the model 511A-5000 Btu and model 512-3500 Btu.I bought them both second hand and don't remember any box or paperwork with them.Is there anything on or about them that would help you?You can get a 6 pack of 8 oz. Polyethylene twist top refillable squirt bottles like they recommend to light them with from a Harbor Freight store for under $4.00.Item # 94390.My wife bought some this week in Savannah Ga. is why I know.I think they recommended and I lite mine by squirting 2 oz. MAX. of fuel in a cross,across the top and around the bottom of the catalytic burner and lighting it.Coleman fuel only!

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee