Old Cliche' "The one that got away"

Discussion in 'Bank Fishing' started by brian88b, Oct 13, 2009.

1. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Went out Sat. morn and caught bucket full of gill's at Cox's park. Then went down to the Ohio and fished right behind the Hydro Plant. Caught 7 nice Blue's and Channel's. Was fun but I am STILL SICK ABOUT THE TRIP. The ones I did catch were hitting clickers going off in like three or four short burst before I set hooks, and then all of a sudden my Heaviest 9' Rod's Clicker started SCREAMING and never let up I picked it up and spun the handle to lock the reel in and pulled up to set hook. Well it never slowed a bit I was on Ky bank and he was headed straight for IN side, It folded my Heavy action 9'er like a little twig and pulled me off balance I jumped down to the next flat rock regained my footing and tried to rare back again, again he pulled me off balance at this point I'm on the edge drag screaming hoping I dont get drug in. I tighten my drag just a little and go to rare back on him again and as I got the rod up and got a few cranks on the handle it breaks loose and just started reeling free. Got it in and had just weight and swivel no leader:sad2::sad2::sad2: Man I was ticked, my son grabbed the net in this process and I told him son that net aint gonna do us a bit' a good on this one. I've caught some nice cats 38# blue is my PB but I've caught alot of blues and Flatty's between 25 and 35. And whatever I had was definately WAY BIGGER. I'm still tore up about it, makes me sick. I wish I would have at least got him up and got a good look before my leader failed me. I dont have a clue what it was ??? Huge Carp, Huge Gar, or MONSTER DADDY CAT ???? Whatever it was I no it WOULD have been:sad2::sad2: the biggest fish I've caught. Oh well guess I just gotta go back Saturday. With heavier line and leader:wink::wink::eek:oooh: A couple pics of the smaller ones.

Attached Files:

2. mactheaxe

mactheaxe New Member

State:
    cartersville, georgia
    youre right, thats an old cliche cuz its happened to many people. i know a lot of people who tell a similar story and i got a few myself. i know how ya feel man. all ya can do is go back and see if you cant hook em again. good luck to you. and it keeps you comin back. it would be called catchin if ya caught everything. good lluck and i hope to see pics if ya hook it again.

3. Eich

Eich New Member

State:
    Mount Joy,

Now that's a fish story. Tough break there brother. Get 'em next time. :wink:

Ray

4. SnagHatr76

SnagHatr76 New Member

State:
    Iowa
    I know exactly how you feel man. You got so much adrenaline pumping as you try to hang on to that huge fish and then your leader snaps and you get a sick feeling in the pit of you gut. Only thing you can do is go right back after him. Good luck you'll get him some day you at least know where he is

5. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

That,s why I just laugh it off when I get people on here telling me 60# leaders and 80# line is overkill.Aint no such thing as overkill when your after big cats!If I,m in extra snaggy water,I switch to 80 on the leaders and 100 or 120 for my main line.:wink:.

6. Flamekeeper

Flamekeeper New Member

State:
    Louisville, Ken
    Heah Brian, did larrys boy go with ya?..Sorry to here about the leader busting. Mine busted right at the leader tied to the swivel on the main line and then again at the knot on the hook useing 30lb..Both within 2hrs of each other. The fish I couldn't even begin to move as well.(green river):wink:

I agree with patcat50,,I'm going to get me some 60-80lb to make me some strong leaders out of..Them big saw like teeth of them big boys don't play, you know if they can strip the hide to the bone :eek:oooh:they can fray a line..IMHO..

Its going to be a cool one this weekend. since all this rain again ,Probaly have to work to finish up a job I just started.:sad2:

7. Flootie16

Flootie16 New Member

State:
    Indiana
    sorry about the bad luck. but dont worry there are more out there! but other than that it appears u had a great day! so be happy you at least got to spend the day with ur boy. those are moments to cherish on their own

8. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Thats bank fishing excitement at its best. That is what will keep you coming back. That is why bank fishing is a challenge, if you were in a boat, you could have started the motor an chased him down--not from the bank. My son had one like that last year, it just about pulled him in and in the excitement, he ended up turning the drag the wrong way on his spinning reel and the #65 power pro broke like kite string. Thats fishing.

9. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    ah man! maybe next time brotha! great report

10. festus

festus New Member

Hey Brian, were you using live bluegill or cut bluegill?

11. brian88b

brian88b Member

State:
    Fairdale, KY
    Hey Kenny(Flamekeeper) No Larry's boy didn't go he worked, just me and My boy and a girl I know. Probably going again this sat. if not raining cats and dogs, hit me up if you get that job knocked out and wanna go.

And Festus, I'm honestly a little new to fishing the River mostly always fished lakes and ponds, and I'm a FIRM believer in LIVE gills. But from all the research I been doing and talking to alot of succesfull "Big Cat" Hunters I have found that most I have talked to prefer fresh cut-bait over Live in the rivers. Be it skippies, gills, or whatever. So against all my old thinking I resisted the urge and hooked my fresh gills straight outta the 5 gallon bucket and through the heads and cut the tails off not quite in half but closer to the tail leaving more body. And I did pretty good with 'em so I'm gonna play around with it some more before I make my final judgement. But anyway to answer your Question. CUT GILLS didn't pitch a single live one out.

12. JBrooks

JBrooks New Member

State:
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Wow, I've been there before. I've felt sick over some of the fish I've lost - all because of my mistakes. You'll get him someday, don't worry.

My buddy and I fish a spot when the water's low and it usually holds good sized fish - until recently we haven't had the equipment to get them in.

About two years ago I used a live bluegill in this spot, and 10 minutes after I put it into the slackwater, and rod tip was doubled over and the drag was screaming. I didn't know the importance of drag then, and always kept it held down pretty tight. The line kept peeling out, I loosened the drag a bit and let him run. About 15 seconds into his run, my rod loosened up - I lost the fish.

Reeling it back in, I noticed my knot slipped out of my hook. I was so upset. I went home that day and learned to tie 5 different knots. That won't happen again. :wink:

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Now that put a smile on my face.

14. KajunKat

KajunKat New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    a couple of years ago I went fishing offshore. when we came in a guy on another boat had caught a cubera snapper that was about 275 pounds. They counted 16 hooks in his mouth. I wonder how many "one that got away" stories that big boy was responsible for?:smile2:

Where I fish in the Miss river during the summer the water gets low and almost no current. I often see this humoungous catfish come up to gulp air in about the same spot(and no I ain't tellin where it is). His head is as big around as a telephone pole and comes out of the water almost 2 feet. I can't cast nearly far enough to get to him but I always hope he may stray a little too far from home one day....:big_smile:

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Man, that had to hurt. Good story.