Old Catfish

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by TerryStucker, Jan 18, 2007.

1. TerryStucker

TerryStucker New Member

State:
    In.
    Hey,
    Got another question? The big 60+ pound blue catfish,
    about how old are these fish? And do you know how
    old they get. When you hear stories about catfish in
    the river as big as a car, how old are these bad boys.

Thanks Terry

2. Dreadnaught

Dreadnaught New Member

State:
    Henderson,Ky
    PLease don't tell me you believe those old tales, LOL!!! I really don't think that there is enough information on catfish aging, to really tell. I have heard tell that a state record blue weighing (I think it was) 96lbs was aged at 11yrs and I have heard other stories about catfish living for 50 years so who really knows!!!

3. 223reload

223reload New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I did some research for ya and all I came up with was that
    channels average lifespan is 7-10 years to get to 10lbs
    flatheads average lifespan is 15 years to get 30+
    blues may live 20 years + and get well over 50 lbs in this time

so id say anything over 20lbs is an old fish hope this healped
    i got the info from NAFC bookcatfishing stratigies

4. cumberlandcat

cumberlandcat Active Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I was watching a in fisherman dvd the other day. He was saying that at 10 to 12 years of age a blue cat can either be 10 to 18 pounds in some bodys of water and 50 to 60 in others. If you a warmer climate you are going to have an abundance of food verses amidwestern to northwestern body of water where everything slows down a lot. They still feed but they aren't feeding like they would be in florida. Maybe I am wrong but it works for me.

5. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    Depends on a combination of genetics, and environment, and available forage. According to this, http://www.floridaconservation.org/fishing/Fishes/catfish.html#blue blue cats live 20 to 25 years. Just a guess, but I would have to say that a catfish weighing 60+ pounds would probably be 15 years or more old. The only way to determine exact age of a fish, is to count the rings on it's otoliths which are small rock like bones in it's head that grow at a predictable rate.

Catfish in the US do not attain the size of a car. We've all heard the story of the diver that swam down to the base of such and such dam to make a repair, and came up with the story of the catfish the size of a VW. That never happened. It's an urban legend.

6. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I believe that is correct, I have read about it before. On most bodies of water that Blue Cats are doing well, they grow on average about 5 pounds a year, I believe that's what it was. A lot of times, a big Blue is not really that old.

Just as JW said in an above post, he heard there was a 96lber was 11 years old, I don't think that is uncommon eithier.

7. kat in the hat

kat in the hat New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I kind of agree with you. Bass and crappie get much bigger on average in FL because they can grow all year. Regardless of the world record black crappie being caught in MO last year, that is unusual. Normally we don't see 5# crappie. Catfish on the otherhand get plenty big here. I don't know FL's state record blue(do they have blues in FL?), but I'm willing to bet MO's is bigger. And the world record was caught from the Mississippi at Alton IL. Channel cats don't grow very fast in MO, but flats and blues do. Go figure.

8. rcneman

rcneman New Member

State:
    TN
    Availability of food, environment (water depth, water temp, etc) and gene pool would have to be the most predominant factors.

There so many possibilites...how can anyone really know??

cyas
    robert

9. SkiMax

SkiMax Well-Known Member

State:
    Rising Sun, IN

There have been blues pulled out of the Ohio River in the 1800's that went over 200 pounds. but that was before the dams obstructed their migratory patterns. But if i was at the bottom of the ohio river and a 100 pound blue swam by i would swear it was as big as a car too. so while i don't believe the stories either, i am sure some guys have seen some monsters down there that would make me crap my pants.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I dont beilve in that stuff, I dont think cats get that big.

11. Catfish Killer

Catfish Killer New Member

State:
    Pa.
  12. Willy

Willy New Member

State:
    Missouri
    If you want good info on Bluecat growth rates get ahold of A Fisheries Bioligist from the Missouri Dept of Conservation.I think Kevin Sullivan is his name as he has done some growth studies and has some good info. If I remember right a 8 lb blue is about 10 yrs old and after they reach a set size like 10 lbs or so the growth rate can really take off given the right forage and genetics.We will know more as more studies are done and they get a better handle on growth rates.Who knows the 10 lb fish ya throw back might have the right stuff to be a world record someday.I know that the Missouri river has the right genetics in the pool as the world record most likely started out from it as the fish was caught close to where the Mo, and Miss. meet.Fish to 90 lbs are caught every year on the Missouri and it is a matter of time befor the big one is caught from it.

13. Wooly

Wooly New Member

State:
    Illinois
    Sounds like a job for "Myth Busters"
    Wooly

14. bamacatman

bamacatman New Member

State:
    alabama
    giant-mekong-catfish-web.jpg now this is just for an example the Mekong Giant catfish grows to an enormous size because of the climate and the abundance of food in the Mekong River. I would imagine that as long as the conditions are right that they could grow to be pretty big here in the U.S.A. not saying they would be big as a car, but they could get well over 200#.

15. craddock1

craddock1 Active Member

State:
    TENNESSEE
    when i was a kid our family was camping and fishig below lay dam on the coosa river in alabama. a man caught a blue on his trot line that he had to come in and get help with. two boats went out and came in from both banks meeting at the fish. someone shot the fish between the eyes. they just rolled the fish into the old mans boat. i do not remember the length but the fish weighed 157 pounds at the store at wills fish camp. i have searched old family pictures searching for a picture. i think we took some. the old man drove away with the fish hanging over the tailgate of his pick up headed home to fillet it. i don't remember ever seeing him again.

16. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    This all ties into "Catch and Release". If the larger cats are released to continue spreading their gene's, maybe we will be able to continue catching large fish for generations to come.

17. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    think what you want but they sure do.

18. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    thats sad something that big couldnt have tasted that good