Old buddy catches a $555,000 Blue Marlin

Discussion in 'NORTH CAROLINA LAKES / RESERVOIRS' started by Mac-b, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Mac-b

Mac-b Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    North Caro
    One of my old bud's, Robert (Bob) Farris, from back in the day (1967 to the present time) was fishing aboard the 'No Problem' off of the Maryland Coast in the Ocean City White Marlin 2009 tournament and hooked onto a 1,062 pound Blue Marlin. It took him and the crew three hours to land and store the fish. The money goes to the boat Captain and he and Robert have not decided on the split as of late this week. The full story and photograph can be found by a search of the Charlotte Observer.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  2. WylieCat

WylieCat Well-Known Member

State:
    NC
    Congrats to Robert!! That turned out to be a new state record too!!

Carolina Catfish Club vice president Cary Vanden Broecke (Billfish76) was fishing in that tournament. I had e-mails, text messages, and phone call from folks that heard "a Charlotte NC man" had caught the half million dollar fish. Everyone was hoping it was Billfish76!!!! :eek:oooh:

Just to show you how STUPID TV anchors can be, the anchor on a national news network said, "wow, I did not know the meat from those fish was worth $500,000....geee, thats over $500 a pound. Who buys that?" :roll_eyes: Yes, she was a blonde. :wink:

3. rivercatsc

rivercatsc New Member

State:
    South Caro
    That was 1 awsome fish. My good friend John Hurst was the Mate aboard that boat. He was all smiles when I stopped by to see him today. I tried to get him to give me a loan but he wasnt hearing it.LOL Great job by the whole crew to boat a beast like that.

4. rrssmith

rrssmith New Member

State:
    Bakersfield
    Man that is great, I always wanted to catch a monster fish like that!

5. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    that had to be one heck of a fish!

6. SGTREDNECK

SGTREDNECK New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Thats an awesome story. Thanks for sharing.

7. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    The boat was in our marina and my phone was ringing like crazy of the rumers that a grander was coming into the scales. Ive heard of many that size lost right at the boat during this tournament, so it was only a matter of time untill 1 was caught. Ive been fishing that tournament for 22 years now. That fish is a new MD state record and of course tournament record. When we heard on the VHF that it was 140 inches I knew it would go over 850lbs but didnt think over 1000lbs. Congrats to him and the crew of "NO PROBLEM"

for more info on the rest of the tournament results and the fish look on
    www.coastalfisherman.net

Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  8. recordbreakin1

recordbreakin1 New Member

State:
    texas
    Thats crazy.