Old boat

Discussion in 'Boating' started by roger_syclone, Apr 29, 2007.

1. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    I am fixing up a old 14' v bottom metal boat anyone have any cheap ideas on how to make a catboat out of it ?

2. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    I found a old 9.9 johnson do you think it will have enough power to push it very well ?

3. roger_syclone

roger_syclone New Member

State:
    mosinee,Wi
    also anyone know the right fuel mix ratio for johnson 9.9 the guy that had it said 1 qt of 30 wt oil to 5 gals of gas said he has always mixed it like that does this sound right ? The motor runs good but seem to smoke alot at low speeds

4. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    First thing on the old V-bottom, check the transom to make sure it's solid. You'll probably be a lot more comfortable if you install a flat floor in it, and you can mount pedistal seats to the floor. If you need more storage space (who doesn't), use wooden boxes instead of pedistals; hinged top--mount the seat to the top. Just as an experiment, I once put my 15hp on a big 16' aluminum speedboat hull that had a beam of 5'-6'. It moved it around nicely, although it couldn't come close to planing speeds, of course.

5. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I have an old 1964 aluminum boat. The max horsepower rating for the boat is 10 HP. I guess you can hang as much as you want back there... but if your checked and its is larger than your data plate states, your gonna pay for it. LOL. As jdstraka said, check that transom. They are not hard nor expensive to replace and may save you a whole lot of trouble later. Not really much you can do to an old boat as just about every modification adds weight. That is going to be your restriction. You got to keep it floating for it to do you any good. You might get along for quite a while with a load on it, but you get in rough water you could pay for it.