Old boat steering

Discussion in 'Bubba's Outboards' started by bigflathunter, Sep 6, 2005.

1. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Robert -

I am wondering about the steering on my boat. I know it needs replaced. The current setup has the circular doohickey under the dash, not the long rack setup, and there is no power assist or anything like that. Just direct cable. The motor is a 1971 50 horse evinrude. I'm wanting to replace it with the teleflex Saf-T QC kit, and I'm wondering if it will work. The kit says "This is the steering system of choice for sterndrives, inboards and other power-assisted applications in which No-Feedback systems are not required." I'm a little lost. The picture looks exactly like what I have, but that doesn't seem to fit my situation. There is no room for the long rack setup. All I know is that the steering on my boat is in really rough shape - the cable housing is split open in a few places and it's really tough to turn the wheel - and for safety's sake I would rather replace it. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    I reviewed the system, and yes, from what I saw that is the system you need.

Be sure to order the correct cable length.

3. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    Thanks for the reply Robert, much appreciated.

4. Bobpaul

Bobpaul New Member

State:
    Supply NC
    Aaron, would you post the link to that evinrude site you mentioned in another thread, please.

5. bigflathunter

bigflathunter New Member

State:
    Lawrence, KS
    No problem. I stuck it in the "parts diagram" thread.

6. joesf

joesf New Member

State:
    Bloomington IL