old boat rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by playin4funami, Nov 3, 2009.

1. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    I have and use a couple of old saltwater boat rods for catfish,these have wooden handles and solid glass construction,I have newer rods but keep going back to the antiques,anybody else use them?

2. flatheadslayer

flatheadslayer New Member

State:
    Thomaston, Geor
    i've got a couple of solid glass rods with cork handles.i was told they're some of the first ones put out by south bend.i'm scared to use mine,affraid i my break them or something.got them hangin' on my wall in my house.

3. larry again

larry again Active Member

State:
    missouri
    I only have 1 old rod like that it was given to me by my father in law. he bought it new in 1965 soild fibeglass st croix snaggin rod I love it. I just left it to his grandsons the twins,we plan to use it this spring for spoonbills. that would be great 3 generasons to catch fish on 1 rod and reel. past them down for history.

4. Bubbakat

Bubbakat New Member

State:
    McMinnvill
    I have one. It has a penn 209 on it

5. StormCaster

StormCaster New Member

State:
    New York
    I don't use the old solid fiberglass rods with the wood handle anymore. I like the newer boat rods as they are lighter and better to grip.

6. bradb

bradb New Member

State:
    ohio
    theres one in an antique store near here, about 6 ft. with an Ocean City reel, for about $30 that tempts me.

7. USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT

USCA-RECLAIMED-ACCOUNT New Member

I had one years ago.Pretty much indestructable,you could pick up a concrete block with it.I still see em all the time at flea markets for $10 or so.If you was starting out with limited funds you could do a whole lot worse.Throw an old Penn on, it which you could probaly pick up for a 20 spot and there wouldn,t be too many situations where you,d be undergunned.:wink:

8. Boomer

Boomer New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I have one old solid glass rod, it has a old ABU on it, my grandfather had 2 just like it. I paid 20 dollars for it at a garage sale, the reel is still in good shape, I oiled it up and it still works perfectly. Nothing like the feel of the old solid glass poles...

9. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i got one that o got started catfishing with and i cant quit using it i got newer rods but the old one is still my fave just cant seem to lay the old girl to rest

10. catfishtonyd

catfishtonyd New Member

State:
    georgia
    I bought 2 of the solid glass rods w/wooden handles and they both have Ocean City reels on them. Paid $10 each for them. Thought I might hang them on the wall. They look great.

11. KansasKatCatcher

KansasKatCatcher Active Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ka
    Just bought and old 7' Rod w/ wooden handles from my uncle on Thanksgiving from my uncle.Its real springy so I don't know what it is mad of.It is all scratched up so I don't know who makes it either.It is black with red string like material holding the guides on.

12. playin4funami

playin4funami New Member

State:
    Saronville Ne.
    If it's old enough to wear wooden handles chances are it's a solid glass rod (fiberglass), for some reason they are hard to beat for durability and fish fighting action,plenty of give when it's needed and plenty of backbone to get the job done. They are kinda heavy,compared to modern rods,but they won't break on you very easy,thats for sure.