old black 6000c

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATDAD, Mar 8, 2009.

1. FATDAD

FATDAD New Member

State:
    Mount Sterling,
    i traded for a old black 6000c that my grandad had at least 20 years ago, it works great and after a good cleaning looks pretty good to. any ideal how old it may be? also would it work for ok catfishing it has the clicker button on the side. thanks

2. slimdaddy

slimdaddy Well-Known Member

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    i have a 5000c and its about 25 yrs old it will work fine for catfish

3. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY

I've also got a black 6000c. No idea how old it is. I traded for it and it wasn't working when I got it. I cleaned it up, greased/oiled it and put a new pawl in it and it works like a new one. I'd like to know how old it is myself, maybe somebody will have some info.:confused2:
    As far as catfishing, it'll do the trick. I use my 6000c and a red 6000 for channel catfishing. I usually use my 6500c3's for the Flatties.:cool2:

4. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    these where made from 1974--1978

5. slimdaddy

State:
    Nelsonville, Oh
    Name:
    Keith
    [​IMG]
    [ Up ]
    Rare ABU Reels

Why rare ?
    Over the years, ABU made numerous models of Ambassadeurs for different markets in varying numbers. Some reels were made in small quantity as they were not popular at that time. These reels would now worth more than their counterparts of the same age.
    In addition, ABU also made some reels in very very limited quantity - usually in differentiate colours to gauge market response. Some were made as "Limited Editions" exclusively for big tackle retail firm in the US. They are very rare and highly sought after by collectors across the globe today.
    Some of the reels are listed below:
    Record Ambassadeur 5000 - Black, Green, Purple, Yellow !!!

This reel was listed for auction in www.ebay.com and ended with a final price of US$3929.00 on 10 December 1998 !!!
    The following are information provided by its seller Steve Woan:
    Record Ambassadeur 5000 Black exceptionally rare reel less than 100 made.Grey spool and gray star drag, twin dark white marbleized handles on black handle bar. In makers original brown leather case with early chrome locking latch. With original Record oil bottle and blue spare parts tube. No number on foot. Small scuffs to reel rims but in excellent mechanical condition. This is the second model of the 5000 Ambassadeur made in the early 1950's after the model SG.
    This reel was made in 1953 the first year of the ambassadeurs, serial numbers were put on the reel feet in the early 1960's The reels were made in Black (100 pieces), Green (20 pieces), Purple and Yellow to test the market. People preferred the red models so the other colors were dropped.​
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Ambassadeur 5000 / 6000 - Black Colour !

This is an extract from a list of an antique dealer in UK:
    "ABU produced 500 each of 5000 / 6000s in a few different colours in 1959, which were sent out to dealers to gauge customers reaction prior to the relaunch the reels as ABUs instead of Records."
    ABU Ambassadeur 5500 / 6500

This is an interesting family of reel introduced in 1974 and sold till 1977/1978. Basically, it is a high speed, non ball-bearings version of the popular 5000 series. It was perhaps targeted at customers who want the higher speed but is not willing to spend more money for a ball-bearings version 5500C.
    At that time, ABU had already established a standard colouring scheme for their current range of models:​
    • 5000/6000 - Red​
    • 5000C/6000C - Black​
    • 5500C/6500C - Gray​
    In an effort to differentiate this model from the others, they are made in different colours like Copper, Burgundy and Gold. Some reels have also been seen in Red.
    The Copper version of the 5500 is by far the most common of the lot. A MINT specimen have been sold for around 350USD:​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Burgundy, Wine or Brown coloured version is a little more uncommon compared to the Copper coloured version. A MINT specimen is worth around 400USD.​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    The Gold version of ABU 5500 is easily one of the most highly sought after reels. It was supposed to have been made for only a year. It easily commands a 4 figure price tag in the auctions !!!​
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ABU 4000D / 5000D / 5500D

No exactly rare but these are direct drive version of ABU's range of Ambassadeurs and are made from 1974 -1978. See the model page here.

ABU 12 - Chrome plated

Small quantities of ABU 12 were made in chrome finish instead of the matt gray. Some say ABU made these for trade shows.

CopyRight © 2001 EJ Gay
    http://www.geocities.com/heartland/lane/4448
    This website was last updated on 20 November 1999
    All Rights Reserved ®
    Disclaimer : The content of this site are provided "as is" with the sole objective of sharing information among collectors worldwide. I cannot be responsible for the accuracy of its content. Every information serves only as a guide. More importantly, I DO NOT speak on behalf of ABU Garcia or represent them in anyway.

</SPAN>[​IMG] [​IMG]

6. catfishjohn

catfishjohn New Member

State:
    Greenup Co. KY
    Thanks for the info. My 6000c doesn't look like any of those pictured. I don't think mine is that old but I could be wrong.:confused2:
    I can't find a date or anything on it but there is a number on the reel seat- 010707. It looks similar to a red 6000 except its black and the paddles on the handle are round instead of flat.
    It says it has a 5:3:1 Gear Ratio, Instant anti reverse and stainless steel bearing drive.
    Any ideas???:confused2: