Old Bait, new type of fish!!!!

Discussion in 'INDIANA RIVERS TALK' started by DieRache, Sep 13, 2009.

1. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I was catfishing last nite on the St Joe river in Mishawaka. The Steelhead trout are running here, and lots of fishermen out fishing for those. So there I am fishing for Cats, no one doing any good. Then I get a hit a BIG hit. I grabbed the pole and started a long fight. Nothing like a cat up here normally gives me. So after about 2 minutes I see it jump and I hear someone yell out "he has a Steelie on" so ok I pull in a Steel head no biggie I have a trout stamp and all and well Steelies are good eating, right.. But here is the kicker, it hit on chicken liver. When asked by the guys along the bank what I was using they did not believe me. so I showed them the only bait I had with me was liver and cut bait. Has anyone ever had a trout hit on liver before?

I wonder how many guys will try liver for trout up here now LOL!

2. beespringer

beespringer New Member

State:
    sunfish, k
    :eek:oooh:..Ya never know.....

3. indycatman

indycatman New Member

State:
    Greenwood, Indi
    dunno how many with try chicken lver for steelie but realize this all fish are preators so if they are hungry they will eat anything plus around here salmon and steelie are start on there feeding habits

4. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    Where there a lot of guys out that night? I went up friday night and had two guys next to me fishing with light weight and they kept drifting over my line so i left.

5. treddinwater

treddinwater Active Member

State:
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Never caught trout or steelheads period, granted they aren't around here...but I've caught more than an unusual fish while using chicken livers/cut bait. I've caught numerous white bass/wipers on livers and cutbait. Caught a couple of hog bluegills on livers before and one time my dad even caught a 2lb smallmouth on some livers.

6. Catfishboy1995

Catfishboy1995 New Member

State:
    Council Bluffs
    cats, bluegill, carp, and drum, and snappers. is all i have ever got on liver!!

7. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    4 lb bass on a huge chunk of it...was kinda dissapointed when it went to jumpin around like an epileptic..would ahve rather had a bullhead than a trashy bass :smile2:

8. DieRache

DieRache New Member

State:
    Indiana
    yea it was saturday night when I went. Was it a few kids? If it was DNR has talked to them I guess they have a few complaints about them recorded. Also there are a few bad apples up there. Next time you head out IM me and we can head up together, most of the guys up there know me and are respectfull.

9. luvndabeers

luvndabeers New Member

State:
    Indiana
    It was friday......a BIG guy, who ive seen there before with a kid who was maybe 12 or so and a tall skinny guy. There were a few kids towards the dam who i talked to, they seemed ok the entire time i was there. OK, i'll shoot ya a message, thanks!!

10. old newbie

old newbie New Member

State:
    indiana
    Do you think you could predict how my fishing will go next summer.:big_smile: I can't take two in a row like this one:angry: If you don't see a definitve improvement my next post will be in the merchandise for sale section.:crazy:

11. JEFFRODAMIS

JEFFRODAMIS New Member

State:
    TEXAS
    HMMMMmmmmmm...next years fishing will be the best ever for you! you will have great luck using zara spooks and nothing else...but first i need to know wehre the big flats are hiding:wink:

12. catfishcatcher

catfishcatcher New Member

State:
    indiana
    Wouldnt that be funny for a new trend in fishing for trout? Just picture people around the world, tv shows and outfitters with thier fancy gear in the rivers and streams all fishing for trout. Instead of hand tied flies or other trout bait and lures they would be using chicken liver. Can you picture a yuppie all geared out for trout with a container of chicken liver in a igloo cooler attathced to him or her to keep their bait cold?:smile2: