old/antique/collectible rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by Phil Washburn, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Phil Washburn

Phil Washburn New Member

State:
    Shawnee OK
    i have a 2 piece rod, 6 sided, and made from wood - anyone have any idea how old this thing is? i have a steel rod, and my wooden one looks older

2. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    The wood one could be Bamboo I would have to see a pitcher to be sure. The metal ones first came out in the 1930’s and was big in the 40’s and 50’s. Bamboo rods have been around since the 1850’s. If it has metal furrows then it could be as old as the 1890’s. if it has the metal furrows and a metal reel seat the it could only be as old as the 1910’s. If it has a cork for grip with the rest of the items listed then it could be as old as the 1920’s. Any way the wood rod is wrapped in silk and finished in a varnish then it is at least 1955 that is when the major companies making rod started whit the nylon wraps with a varnish finish.

3. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    I have 2 rods and reels that my father obtained during WWII. Both are made from what appears to be varnished tapered wood. One has a Penn reel while the other has an Ocean City, the company that predates the Penn Reels. One was purchased in the Philippines during the war for $15 while the other was on Dad's ship a Sub Chaser. At the end of the war Dads ship was given to the Russians and the recreational equipment was offered to the crew members.

I thought the rods were constructed of bamboo but I have been told it was wood. The handles are 'carved' and the reel holders are metal while both rods are 2 piece with metal furrows. Over the summer Dad refinished both rods and they both look new.

The question I have is similar to Phil's, is there any value to the rods and reels? Dad used them when they first moved to Florida but has not used them for some time. When he gave them to me he suggested I use them for Flatheads or Blues. I would hate to break one and then discover that it was a valuable antique <grin>

4. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    I would say that they had personel value as they are handed down to you. As far as cash value well that would of been shot as soon as they were refinished unless you could have gotten hold of some old rod varnish. With the handles being carved then I would have to say they came from the early 40's or late 30's. So if I was to sale them I would ask at least $50 each whit out seeing them, they could go as much as $500 each depending on who made them. The one from the Phillippines would not be worth now where what one from the US would have been. As far as antique yes they are and it is hard to find one in good shape as I am always looking.

5. Tellico00

Tellico00 New Member

State:
    Collierville, T
    Thank you Gator!

Any suggestions as to replacing the guides? One rod has one missing the others appear to be stainless???

Mike

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Mike I may have some here I can send you is you could get a pitcher of the rod to me. I would have to see them to see if I have them in stock. As for how to do it there is a post in the informative post section that I made that will help answer most of your question and if you still have questions please fell free to post them here and I will do the best I can to answer them for you.