Olathe Lake

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KC Jayhawk 78, Jan 23, 2006.

1. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    The inflow at Cedar Creek. Has anyone ever gotten permission to fish on the other side of the bridge, where the waterfall is at. Im not ever really sure who owns that property. I just know that there is a no trespassing sign there. I can understand that the people who own it dont want a bunch of trash being left on there property, but when that creek is flowing in real good after a hard rain, under that waterfall has to be a gold mine. :) If someone knows the name of the owner , I would appreciate it. Im not scared to ask , or offer to pay for permission.

2. McFlat

McFlat New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    If there is a house on the property, and you can get me the address, I think I can locate a name and phone number on the JOCO property tax website.

3. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Mc Flat

Yeah there is house there. Ill get the address. The house is about 30 yards away from the property. The bank down by the waterfall is concrete, which leads me to believe that the city did it years ago, but there is no trespassing signs around there. You would think that the concreted bank would be city property. I dont know. I just want to throw a live shad right under that waterfall and see what happens. :)

4. McFlat

McFlat New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I think the tresspassing comes into it when you cross the owner's property to get where you are going. If you were to wade across the creek or get to the concrete by boat, I doubt there is little they can say. I'd definately try to get permission first.

kcgeoff or kccats: Did you ever knock on that door?

5. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Alright McFlats here we go its 2105 Dennis Ave. When I drove up to the door , I saw a note on the door that was a little hostile , from one of the neighbors. Something about clean up your leaves , its making this stretch of the neighborhood look bad or something like that. It looks like the people just up and left. Maybe went south for the winter. I dont know. I drove the little gravel road back as far as I could on the property , running parallel with Cedar Creek. That creek looks pretty deep back in there in some places. Might find some bullheads or some small suckers back in there some time. Anyway McFlat , yeah if you can research and get a name and a phone number, ill call and ask for permission. The thing thats ironic is that if they are letting their leaves pile up , and making their yard look trashy, then what the heck do they care if someone fishes down by the waterfall on their "property"? Thats the only thing I can think of for a reason for not letting people fish from your property , is leaving trash around. (Which I would never do anyway) Heck I would offer to pay 10 bucks or so for a years worth of access to that waterfall bank. They are the ones missing out , cause any trash I found down there that someone else left , that fished without permission , I would pick that up and take that with me, too. :)

6. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    we will see if its a gold mine soon lol

7. Chris

Chris New Member

State:
    Spring Hill, Kansas
    Make a deal with the land owner, rack up there leaves for them as long as they let you fish the river. It gets the neighbors off there back too,

chris

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    Not a bad idea Chris. Might try that. :)

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Hey guys I used to live just up Dennis from where you were talkin' about. grew up there as metter of fact.....anyway its been 15 years or so from when I last fished Olathe lake. Those no tresspassing signs have always been there. I had permission to fish there years ago but never caught anything all that big in that spot. JMO but there are better spots elsewhere on the lake. try the mudflats with BIG live bait at night....all night!

If You could manage to get permission to fish the creek behind the house Now that might be exciting!!! Old Man Brown that used to run the bait barn up on Dennis used to tell Me storys about the fish caught in cedar creek. I'm sure that it gets very little fishing pressure now-a-days

10. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Ive heard that the mud flats are good during the prespawn for flatheads too. That was where we held the KS gathering last year. BTW, does anyone know if we are going to have another one of those anywhere this year?

11. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I cant wait to hit the flats this year!!!! That will be my main fishing spot. :)

12. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Im with you on that one. I am thinking about doing the gathering myself if no one else does. A summer just wouldnt be a summer without the tangy zip of catching some catfish ;)

13. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    Whats the deal with the boating policy for Lake Olathe? I have heard that there arent supposed to be motor boats out there, but I have seen them gunning it down the waterways when I have been there before. I also heard somewhere that it is a no-wake lake, so as long as you dont go too fast, its fine. Could anyone clarify this for me?

14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Barbel,
    I was always under the assumtion that you can have outboards on it. Especially since I've seen tons of them on there. But I know for a fact it is a no-wake lake. But that doesn't seem to stop the bass fishermen from running around.

15. tackleman

tackleman New Member

State:
    Olathe. Kansas
    Last I heard Olathe was a no-wake lake. Unless its changed since last year. I agree some of the bass guys do go a little fast. They need to start inforcing the rules. That'll slow them down.

16. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    we are going to catch the fat one out there or might even catch a buzz too lol

17. flat fighter

flat fighter New Member

State:
    kansas
    I had a good time last year. I'd be up for another one. i say we move it to a river this year. Last year high water limited us to the lakes but we might luck out this year?:rolleyes:

18. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Hi everyone. This is my first post here.

I fish Olathe Lake a lot and heard from an old boy that has lived around there all his life that that dam on the south side of the bridge was built by the owner of the property. I've never seen the owner fishing over there BTW. Go figure.

As for boats, it's a 5 mph limit.

I think i'll go out there tonight and hit those flats with some shad. I don't know how that NW wind will affect things but I'll give it a shot anyway. :smile2:

19. 600lbs

600lbs New Member

State:
    gardner kansas
    that white house i looked in it looks like no one is living there at the time so i think its safe to fish on the other side of the road the no fishing sign is not there any more so... who knows

20. phlat

phlat New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Im thinking about trying the lake out tonight. Never been there before, but I drive by it almost every day. Where would be the best place to set up? Ive seen people on the boat ramp, in the creek, and at the parking spot off of Dennis between the entrances. Thoughts?