Olathe Lake Starter Guide

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by kccats, Jul 5, 2006.

1. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    In an attempt to help out some fellow BOC members who have never fished or have little experience fishing Olathe Lake, Ive been wanted to post something to get them started.

The next 3 posts will include an attachment pic with some numbered areas on it and the post will contain something about that number.

I did not include any information or numbers on the dam area or the flats.
    These are places that fish can be caught in most any lake.
    The areas I have bothered to include are from my own personal experience on Olathe Lake and may or may not work for you.

2. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    1)DennisStreetBridge. Just off of Dennis Street. Right next to the bridge is where you can catch shad in the morning or evening. It is also where I caught the 16 lb flathead and lots of channel cat. Standing on the bank and looking to your right, you will see a bit of an island sticking up…. sometimes when the water is low enough to walk to it, fish towards the lake. Channels stack up there big time.
    2)There are 2 pull offs past Dennis street bridge area, both to your left (lake side). Both of these give you access to the feeder creek and good for channel cats.
    3)This one is tricky. The fishing spot is below the bluff. You have to walk around to get there but it is a great place to fish and not many know it’s there.
    4)This is a hard boat launch area and lots of people fish there. It’s where the creek turns into the lake. Channels come off the lake to go up the creek to feed at night

Olathe Lake

3. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    5)This is a stick out point and a hard place to get to fish unless your there early. It gives you access to deep water straight out, a small cove to your right and the weed line to your left. Good channel cat spot.
    6)This is the dock on the west side. Deep water out or throw side to side along weed beds. Great spot.
    7)Beach area. On this side of the beach you can throw out in front of the weed line. Caught lots of channels here.
    8)Point of beach. You can throw to a lot of different depths from here. Lots of channels caught here and some flathead's.
    9)Little cover to the right of beach. Good flathead spot
    10)Dock on east side. Deep water straight out, very shallow to the right along weed line (flats) (had a monster flathead here but it got me into the weeds and got off). If you throw left, you will see there is a creek bed drops straight down. I fish the ledge above it. Channel cats cruise along the bank here at night.
    11)This is my bluegill honey hole. Sand and rock bottom. Bluegills are out 15 to 20 ft. and along front of weed line. I have not yet tried it, but I bet this is the best flathead spot on the lake. Every time I go to fish there, someone else is fishing for channels here. Not much room to fish, 2 guys very tight.

Olathe Lake 2

4. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    12)Below the dam. This is a good place to get bait fish when all else fails. Also have caught net fulls of creek chubs here before.
    13)This cove has many access points, but all tight fishing. I have not tried here much but a lot of guys fish here. Also they are good places to catch gills.

Olathe Lake 3

5. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    If you want more information just ask!
    I'm not an expert on Olathe Lake, but I certainly can catch bait and fish there. It's a great place to go to catch eaters, try your luck at a lunker flathead or channel cat or just to catch bait.

Good luck!

6. cat lineman

cat lineman New Member

State:
    kansas
    I would like to talk to ya more about olathe lake,only fished it a couple of times. I've got a boat to get to some of those spots from the water side.Always looking for an extra person to catch some fish

7. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    kccats

Your posting has tweeked my interest in Olathe Lake but I'm confused since I was expecting to see a picture when clicking on your links. What comes up for me is a Direct Admin Login Page asking for a Username and Password.

Thanks for any assistance in helping me out of my state of confusion in this.

8. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    hmmmm... thats very strange..... it is working fine for me!

9. barbel

barbel New Member

State:
    Somewhere
    This is happening to me too. If it is a site that you need to log in to post things on then that may have something to do with it. You may be logged in but the rest of us arent.

10. cook

cook New Member

State:
    Plattsburg,Mo.(near K.C.)
    Chris,rep points for the tutorial

11. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    Thanks kccats
    Now I can see the pictures and will be studying them.
    Thanks for the informative posting.

12. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Chris, Thanks for the great post! I've been thinking about focusing a little more energy on Olathe Lake, and this helps a lot.

13. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
  14. kcgeoff

kcgeoff New Member

State:
    Kansas
    Maybe,
    I'll try fishing Olathe Lake, too. See if I can catch any fish. :tounge_out:

15. Whistler

Whistler Well-Known Member

State:
    TN
    Fixed the original posts Chris. Great post!

16. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Hey kingcat! Where did you get that topo from?

17. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Google. That's all I remember. I was pretty ***** at the time. :)

18. LBM

LBM New Member

State:
    Prairie Village, Kansas
    kccats

I item #4 the only boat ramp at Olathe Lake.

Thanks

Lee

19. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    Just to the left of #6 is the main ramp.