Olathe Lake flathead catfish

Discussion in 'KANSAS LAKES / RESERVOIRS TALK' started by KSflatheadKING3511, Jun 21, 2007.

1. KSflatheadKING3511

KSflatheadKING3511 New Member

State:
    Kansas
    im gonna be tryin my luck for some flatheads this weekend at olathe lake... i havnt ever fished there before and was wonderin wear are some spots to try and what should i be usin as bait
    thanks i appreciate the info
    Ryan

2. Kyle

Kyle New Member

State:
    Kansas City - Olathe
    there is an excelent (water depth) map here on the site provided by one of our members...

http://www.catfish1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22626

hopefully I got the link right. Let me know if it dosn't work. I'd use perch or if you can get 'em shad as far as bait goes.

3. bconger

bconger New Member

State:
    KS
    Hi all. Live in Olathe, new to the forum. Lots of great info on Olathe Lake on here. Appreciate everyone sharing information like this.

Brad

4. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS

So have you caught any yet??

Or have you even gone?

5. s_self88

s_self88 New Member

State:
    Shawnee, Kansas
    We fished the flats friday night with live bluegill. Didn't get a single run.

6. River_monster91

River_monster91 New Member

State:
    central kansas
    lol well good luck to ya

7. kccats

kccats New Member

State:
    Olathe, Kansas
    Ive caught a few flathead's in Olathe lake but everyone of them were caught just before sunup. Went all night without bites then hit them in the morning.
    However, they are caught at different times all over the lake so don't give up!

8. KC Jayhawk 78

KC Jayhawk 78 New Member

State:
    Kansas City, Ks
    I got my pb 45 lb. flat in the creek at 930pm. w/ nightcrawlers. It was after a few days of rain , and the creek was pouring in pretty good. Never know at Olathe Lake. Ive read articles in Great Plains Game and Fish about one guy who has caught several 40-70 lb flats out there over the years. I wouldnt be surprised if there was a 80+ flat in there. Just have to keep trying. It took me 3 yrs of fishing Olathe Lake before I finally got a big flat out of there.

9. jdunndmb

jdunndmb New Member

State:
    Kansas
    i agree that nightcrawlers are probably the way to go at lake olathe. anyone ever fish at heritage and get anything?

10. KingCat

KingCat New Member

State:
    Olathe Kansas
    I heard from a (seemingly sane and non-lying) source that when they (the Fish and Game Dept) shocked the lake earlier this year, 2 Flatheads came up that weighed over 100lbs. :crazy:

How much over? That hasn't been disclosed and they are still out there, if they really exist. :big_smile:

11. Bwitt

Bwitt New Member

State:
    Kansas
    I was thinking about fishing for some flatheads out at Olathe lake this weekend. Anyone got any tips on bait, location, time of day etc.

12. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    I actually caught a 27 pound flattie out there this weekend. Caught him on cut bluegill that I was using to try and catch channels. It was about 12:45 AM when it hit. I'd probably use a live bluegill if I were you though. Seemed like kind of a fluke catching it on cut bait.

13. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    pics

Attached Files:

14. n2fishn

n2fishn New Member

State:
    Topeka,Kan
    Good catch Miller....I'm sure this will get some of the guys around that area off their azz and start fishing...LOL!!!!!
    Thx for the pictures....

15. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Haha thanks. Yeah it was enough to wake me up for the season. Can't wait to get at it big time this year.

16. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Jake, Congrats on the fine flattie you should of sent me a message here I would of went with you.

17. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    Olathe Lake is my favorite place to go when I only have 2-3 hours to fish, I've been out there several times this year. I've yet to catch a flathead there, but one of these days....

18. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Hey shelby. I texted you and keith before I went out, but maybe you guys have new numbers. I'll be sure to get ahold of you on here next time I go out.

Oh and the flattie was cpr'd btw.

19. shelbygt1979

shelbygt1979 New Member

State:
    Olathe, KS
    Yeah, I guess I should of told everyone that my phone was stolen and I have yet to get a replacement. Sorry I should have the same number I just need most of the numbers again from peeps as I can't remember all the phone numbers on my phone. When I do today or the next I will send you a pm here to get your number again.

Btw Jake, are you on Facebook?? If so look me up.

20. millertimemarine

millertimemarine Member

State:
    Lenexa, KS
    Name:
    Wyatt
    Haha no facebook for me. Too much drama with the ladies lol