Ol' Mississippi River

Discussion in 'MISSOURI RIVERS TALK' started by mo.whiskers70, Oct 16, 2007.

1. mo.whiskers70

mo.whiskers70 New Member

State:
    missouri
    Haven't had much luck the last few trimes I have been out. Is there anyone that can give me some tips? I don't have a boat, so all my fishing is from the bank. Went out a few weeks back and caught a personal best (about 30 lbs) but haven't had any luck here lately, has anyone else been having any luck. I am located in south Jefferson county.

2. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Johnny Welcome to the BOC from So. Illinois.

3. Michael Jake

Michael Jake New Member

State:
    Troy, Missouri
    Welcome to the BOC Johnny... Great place here to learn and share from lots of folks, many of which are in your neck of the wooods and I'm sure will be here soon with the help you need. It's been slow for everyone lately but we're optimistic there should be another good bite soon. Again welcome Johnny and enjoy the BOC

4. Malichi1970

Malichi1970 New Member

State:
    Fenton, Missouri
    Well Johnny, it's like this....we hit the Mississippi hard on Saturday night (by hard I mean 4 boats with 9 people fishing) and while there were some fish caught they were few. The general consistence is that the fish are scattered and not yet schooling up. Those that did manage to catch fish only caught one or two in a hole and they were done. So, fishing from the bank is gonna be even harder. The only thing I can tell you is to keep at it as the weather gets cooler they should start feeding better and moving towards the winter holes. In your case (fishing from the bank) it may be even harder to find them then normal, but when/if you do you'll be knocking them dead.

Good Luck and don't hesitate to ask any questions.

5. RIVER-RAT

RIVER-RAT New Member

State:
    MO / MT
    Mike gave it to ya straight, I was out there on Saturday and the fish a deifinately scattered right now. I hope the bite improves real soon.

Welcome to the BOC!

6. Grumper

Grumper New Member

State:
    Crystal City MO
    What's happening Johnny? Right now, the fish are scattered around our parts. Cuz and I have hit this section hard and haven't done any good. Seems that the fish have followed the baitfish up river. That's what I am figuring being that bait is getting extremely hard to find. We did fairly well fishing St.Louis the other night. Cuz landed a 40lb flathead. Your best bet bank fishing right now is to go dig you some night crawlers and go after channels. There are plenty of them on the rock revetments around the boat ramp. If I had my boat still we'd go out. Just wait till February. I'll have my new rig and you can join me anytime. :wink:

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    Johnny welcome to the BOC! Keep after them you will get on them soon, they have just been really hard to catch lately. Congrats on the 30 lber.

8. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    Welcome aboard Johnny. Nice to have another fellow Jefferson Countian. Any friend of Gary's, is a friend of mine.

9. Kutter

Kutter New Member

State:
    Arnold, MO
    Welcome aboard, Johnny. Any friend of Gary's is ........... Well, we tolerate Gary, so I guess we can you too. LOL

10. Cuz

Cuz New Member

State:
    DeSoto, MO
    In verrrrrry typical Kutter fashion, he joins the faray and causes me to launch coffee six feet across this CAne Tuckk Eee Hotel parking lot. I'm sittin out on the porch with my coffee and my laptop, and as usual Kutter's got me gigglin.

Best Of Luck this deer season Tom. Please come out of your cave every now and then say hello please. We kinda miss the Ol Judge Jubilation P Kutter every winter. :wink:

11. theonecatfishbob

theonecatfishbob New Member

State:
    Wright City, Missouri
    Welcome aboard Johnnie. Nice place to visit. Just DONT MAKE A MISTAKE..

12. Cat-Slayer

Cat-Slayer New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have been striking out recently on the banks of the 'Ole Miss, until a couple of days ago. I was up in St. Louis city, about a mile south of the Arch, and I was able to land an 8 lbs. blue and then a little later a 17 lbs. blue. They were both only about 20 ft. off the bank, but with the strong current, the water was 10-15 ft deep (and on the rise). I let the 17 pounder go, but that 8 pounder tasted mighty good.

I had some luck last night, too, in the same place. After catching 4-5 Drum, I caught a 20.5 lbs. flathead.:big_smile: Surprised me he was in there. It was a good fight. Almost ran me into a log jam.

I don't want to speak too soon, but the bite seems to be getting better, at least off the bank. :smile2:

13. FLOAT TRIP WILLIE

FLOAT TRIP WILLIE Active Member

State:
    St. Louis
    hey johnny welcome aboard, this is a very cool site.
    'and great place to hang out. lots of info also