Ol Man Treestands

Discussion in 'Hunting Gear Talk' started by flatheaddundee, Feb 1, 2006.

1. flatheaddundee

flatheaddundee New Member

State:
    Madison,MS
    I heard ol man has gone out of business or been sold to gorrila i see a lot of ol mans designs messed up by gorrilla. I really liked the ol man treestands and I got the original. Does anybody know of this? What are your thoughts about ol man treestands?

2. bluecatnut

bluecatnut New Member

State:
    freeburg illinois
    yeah they went out of buiness i used my buddy's ole man and didn't care for it i will stick to summitt

3. gofish

gofish New Member

State:
    Greenville MS
    I have an Ol Man too and I like it a lot.

I think it is true that Ol Man has gone out of business and it is because of liability problems. They have had some 'issues' with the cables coming apart and people getting injured.

I know personally of one incident where the cable came apart and left the hunter hanging upside down by his ankles in the straps on the bottom platform. Luckily he was not alone on this day and he was rescued rather quickly. He still suffered multiple cuts to his face and a nasty looking eye. He was only about 6-8 feet off the ground when the top broke.

I will take a close look at my Ol Man this summer and may make some modifications to it before using it next year. It might be a good idea for everyone who uses an Ol Man to give it a once-over before they use it.

To be fair, I think the Ol Man is a very comfortable stand and it climbs well. I think it is a little on the heavy side but I'm a somewhat small person so it doesn't take much. I have a pad designed to go with the stand and I think it makes all the difference in the world. Both in the ways of comfort and in warmth.

I promise I will be more careful with my stand from now on though...

4. solomon

solomon New Member

State:
    MS
    Yes, it's true. Ol' Man, a company based out of Hattiesburg, MS is out of business. I've got several of the treestands, or had them actually before the storm. The company changed owners a while back and the new owner sold it. I don't think you can get them anymore. I like the stands, as they are pretty well built, and the net seats are easy on you if you sit all day, but they're pretty heavy, except for the graphite models. There are several good, light stands on the market right now. I hunted some out of a Summit Viper this season, and was very pleased with it.

5. quackkillsduxs

quackkillsduxs New Member

State:
    madison mississippi
    i got me an api before they went out of bussiness. dont care for the ol man seat, but i do like the foot rest/gun rest. its really convienent

6. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    If you like an old man you will love a Tree Lounger tree stand its the most comfort I have found ,Imean sleep like a baby and caint fall out.works fer me
    BEWELL crmule

7. metalfisher

metalfisher New Member

State:
    Arkansas
    I saw a "Ole man" type stand at walmart today. I was sitting with the Gorilla stands.

Hey CRMULE, I like my lounge too. Is that an Osceola in your picture?

Robert

8. mangus

mangus New Member

State:
    n.c.
    love my old man stand.

9. crmule

crmule New Member

State:
    Orange City Florida
    Yep that was my frist oseola,hopefully not my last .Last season was real poor for me .
    Bewell CR

10. wigginsdano59

wigginsdano59 New Member

State:
    alabama
    ol man was bought by mikes sporting goods in jay fl. mike scott is manu the new stands at the present time. all tree stands manu are required to carry 5 years liability ins. one accident does not put a company out of business. the old company had poor management.