OL Blue, What hook? What bait? Where?

Discussion in 'Blue Catfishing' started by slowjamcdub, Nov 18, 2008.

1. slowjamcdub

slowjamcdub New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I want to start fishing for BLUES! Everyone tells me its time to fish for blues right now! Just 1 thing.... Ive never fished for blues:eek:oooh: lol so if you guys could give me some tips for ol blue I would be much abliged. Stuff like what hook to use and whats the best bait and ohh...where can I find them!:big_smile: and are they in Kentucky? Maybe at barren river lake?? thanks guys!!!!! :roll_eyes:

2. bumper

bumper New Member

State:
    Georgia
    One of my favorite hooks for big blues is the Daiichi circle chunk light size 7/0 or the Team Catfish double action circle size 8/0 (they are the same hook even though they are different sizes). Fresh cutbait is great for blues, and skipjack, bream, and shad are all good. Check out the BOC sponsors section and I think you could find the hooks in the Catfish Safari Tackle Shop or Bluff City Tackle sections. There are blues in KY, so ask the guys in the Kentucky catfishin' section for some places to find blues close to ya. Good luck fishin'.

3. cathog

cathog New Member

State:
    Lone Oak Texas
    I like the Gamakatsu octopus circle hook in 8/0 or 6/0 depending on the size of the bait. Any fresh cut bait works well for the blues. Down here shad is best, followed by perch(bream), carp, or drum.

4. metalman

metalman Well-Known Member

State:
    IN
    Name:
    Winston
    Chris,
    Enough said above on hooks and bait. I don't know anything about Barren River Lake but if you have a boat it's only about 70 miles From Bowling Green to the Ohio river at Owensboro. Plenty of good blues in the river...W

5. Mickey

Mickey New Member Supporting Member

State:
    Illinois
    Chris there are blues in Ky. Check out Ky/Barkley lakes this includes the Tenn/Cumberland rivers. I like the ohio for nice blues. Check out the deeper holes this time of year. I like to use skipjack heads on kahle hooks. Good luck on your quest.