Ol' Ben's gone deaf

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by Nobody Special, May 10, 2006.

1. Nobody Special

Nobody Special New Member

State:
    TN
    It seem like my old fishing buddy has lost his hearing. I walked up behind him this morning out in the yard and yelled at him and he didn't even look around. He's either deaf or ignoring me one. He's close to 14 year old. He acted like he was hard of hearing once before but then his hearing seemed to come back for a while. I checked his ears and they are clean. I guess we will just have to learn sign language.

Attached Files:

2. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    Boy thats sad. I also have a pooch in similar straits. I got this one from the pound in December, my Xmas present. The night I had got her, she just got back from the Vets and was still on the happy pill or whatever they give dogs. She was sick for a day or two and then I started noticing how she would jump all of a sudden... not pay any attention to loud noises, and would jump if I petted her when she didn't know I was there. Took her to the Vet and sure enough, she is deaf. She is learning hand signals now and responds pretty well with them...I can't help wishing she was more "normal" because I wanted to take her fishing with me and am afraid to do that when she can't hear. But, the wife and I love her anyhow... she is just something special.

3. bmaultbay

bmaultbay New Member

State:
    Clarksville, Tennessee
    nothing like mans best friend. always faithful. I have a 1 and 1/2 year old lab mix, haven't had her on the boat yet, plan to on my vacation at the end of the month. she is still a pup, but faithful as any older dog.

4. Buddrice

Buddrice New Member

State:
    Louisiana
    Grumpy,that is sad.He is a great looking dog.Is he a Black & Tan?We lost our Bassett around Christmas,he was 16 years old.As fate would be I found a Red Tick Hound in the woods that was litterly starving to death and brought him home the day we found our Bassett in the bed room passed away.Your dog looks like a great companion.

5. MRR

MRR New Member

State:
    Louisiana,Mo.
    :sad2: THATS SAD TO HEAR. JUST KEEPON LOVING HIM CAUSE HE'S GOING TO KEEP LOVING YOU WEATHER HE IS DEAF OR BLIND. HE JUST NEED YOUR PATIANCE AND UNDERSTANDING MORE THAN EVER. LETS JUST PRAY THAT IT IS A TEMPERARY INFECTION AND HE WILL GET HIS HEARING BACK ONCE AGAIN. GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF HIM ,HE IS ONE OF GODS CHILDREN ALSO .

6. FS Driver

FS Driver New Member

State:
    swansea,illinoi
    thats a shame.
    he looks like his ears are perked in that first picture.
    our bassett has selective hearing ....he ignores us when we are calling him away from food:big_smile: .

our boston is loseing his sight .
    if i am laying down on our couch he will jump up on my head instead of my feet :embarassed: poor ole dog gets fooled if i lay the other way:lol:

7. Cyclops01

Cyclops01 New Member

State:
    Eden, NC.
    Grumpy,

There is a bright side to this. Love doesn't need working ears. Give Ol' Ben a back scratch and a big soup bone for me.

8. catfishkatmando

catfishkatmando New Member

State:
    Salem, WV.
    Know what you meam Grumpy My old B.U.D. wil be 14 in Nov. and he gets around ok on flat ground but walking around some of these lakes in Wv the steep hills make it hard on him . I have a 8 month old in place to take up the slack but these hils are hard on me too. B.U.D. stands for big ugly dog. SEE YOU ON THE FISHBANK SOMETIME

9. zappaf19

zappaf19 New Member

State:
    Monticello,IN
    I was given a deaf dowmation puppy and she learned hand signals. She has since died and I cried like a baby. I now have a blind beagle puppy who is my best friend. If I could only get him to quit chewing everything.
    Bill

10. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Grumpy, I knew a guy that had a older dog that went deaf and he got her a collar that vibrated when you pushed a button on the remote. Worked just like a shock collar, but this was wearer friendly. Anyway, he'd push the button, then give her a treat. Got her trained that when the collar vibrated, she'd come looking for him. He taught her some hand signals too, and she caught on pretty quick. She lived another 3 years and was a happy dog til the end.
    Rat

11. armynavy

armynavy New Member

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry to hear that grumpy, the thought of not being able to find a new house so I can take my Jake is tearing me apart but alot of people just don't like dogs. Hope you work out some hand signals so that he won't get hurt anyway.