okuma surf rods

Discussion in 'Fishing Rod Review' started by slikk03, Jun 13, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    mr altone ans i were down at the dame he had these rods ,they were 12 footers grafite, they were realy lite but not flimsy, i fell in love with em, any reveiws on them

2. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    if you were fishing with alton you were in good company and if you like that 12 ft solaris that makes 3 of us.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i loved the feel of it, but will it hold up to a big blue cat,its not fiberglass,if its sturdy than ill buy one, graphite i dont know, how they handel a bend

4. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    The Solaris series rod's are highly thought of by pretty much everyone who own's one. They have become a favorite "go to" rod for many people who don't want to risk fishing heavy currents, rough rocks and treacherous terrain with a $300 rod. I've yet to hear of one failing under normal fishing use.

A shore fishing rod shouldn't bend more than 90-110deg (the tip being 90-110 from the butt section). I say shouldn't because there are rods (like the ungly stick) that can bend much further.. but at a cost... you loose a lot of action, authority and cast-ability with a rod this limp.

Boat rods often have to bend nearly 180deg when the fish make a run under the boat just when you think you've got it in the bag. For that purpose, the majority of boat rods have a lot of glass. Boat rods do not need to be cast a long way either.. so the loss in that ability isn't an issue and not nearly as important as the ability to flex under extreme runs. Look, no one fishing from shore has ever had a fish make a run 5' below their feet behind them.

IF you fishing from shore, and need a long casting rod that will get the fish to the bank (but WON'T lift the fish straight out of the water like a crane) then you could do a lot worse than an Okuma surf rod.

Fish it like it was meant to be used, don't abuse it, or treat it like a javelin or expect it to work like a crane arm and it will not only make you a very happy fisherman but will give you several years of use.

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    thats what i figerd, i do need a stong rod that can be abused, i fish in alot of snags, but man i love the feel of them, but i think ill have to go with something made of fiberglass, even thogh i love them rods, lets say you locked down that solaris and a big blue came and slamed it, would it crack, iv had a grafite rod, they dont take heavy blasts of runs, to me thed be beeter for smaller fish, but i still loved the rod, but i could never use it for hillbily flathead fishing,and thats what i do 70 percent of the time,i need a long medium hevy 12 footer that can realy bend and take abues, i got a berkly glowstick , its awsom but, i need a rod that will offer a little more distanec with an 8 oz weght, basicaly i want out 50 yards without heavy action, for flatheads im 100 percent coverd in gear, blues is a diffeant story im like a stupid idiot to most blue anglers lol, not to mention there all in boats here in illinios, i had a argument with a few blue anglers on here lol,

6. Crucial

Crucial New Member

State:
    Virginia Beach VA
    There is a distinctive difference between use and abuse!

Your not the fist person who has thought to move to surf rods for blues. In fact there is another very respectful catman who goes by "Tiny" who's been using heavier 13' All Star Breakaway's (2pc/1pc) for tailrace fishing from shore for many years now.

If your worried about heavy hit's and big runs use your clicker and leave the reel in freespool. Better yet, get a lever drag reel so you have the setting on your reel for the strike and then move directly into your drag setting, and back to your casting with out all the hassle of turning your star.

I've never had a cat fish hit the explosive power and quickness of many salt water species (which this rod is made for) does. I've seen sand spikes up rooted and rods lost before they broke (which is why I never lock down a reel and have moved to a lever drag when fishing large fish).

Forgot to mention, if your looking for a tree limb of a heavier casting rod look into the Shimano Tallus Ulua. It's 13' of 9-12oz casting power... even comes with a steel butt section (so the rod doesn't snap at the rod holder when a Big Ulua hit's like a freight train). This would be a perfect tail race rod where casting 8-10oz sinkers with whole bluegill. It's not as cheap as the Okuma, but if your really worried about blues snapping your rod on the hit... this would solve your problem.

7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea , im not rich bro, , im not buying another reel, but im looking for a rod thats well suited to bend to the ground and hookup with a circal hook, im afraid the solaris wont take a bend like an uglystick tiger, but i can tell you buy feeling it its well suited for distance and casting,i freespool alot but im afraid to buy one if it snaps,i just dont know man,i like medium hevy, i dont like hevy , or medeum so far, the 34 doller berkly glowstick is my faverant ,i know this solaris wont be used alot, if i get it, i think id be better off with a tiger bigwater uglysick, but them solaris make me want to buy just the way they feel,whats stronger glass or graphite

8. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    after doing some reserch i cant go with a solaris, there not suited for my fishing stle i know ill break it, its time to move on thanks for the advice, i just cant pay that much to chance it , i like to hore them in i get hung up alot my rods get abused, not sounding like it would be somthing id pay 100 for to break, cant do it, if i had a chance to get one for 40 i would

9. alton

alton New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I would not worry about the Solaris breaking. Last year one afternoon I caught a #48 and #45 blue on my Solaris rods. They both hit so hard the 5/8" rebar I use for my rod holders was bent into an L shape. I almost lost one rig. The rod handled the fish with no problem. I got both to the bank and landed them by myself. I like the rods because with a 6500 reel and 5oz and bait, this rig is a joy to cast. I also have an Ocean Master Cape Point 12' casting rod rated 6-12oz which is a beast. This rod probably requires 8oz and bait for max performance, I use my 7000 Pro Rocket with this rod. I fish with this rig after I hear about some #70 blues being caught. It is a powerful rod, but not as much fun to cast. It sounds like you are leaning more to a rod like this. I would not waste your time with the big water ugly sticks. I had a 12' casting rod for one day and returned it. Just like Kelly mentioned in a previous post, this rod is too whippy for river fishing, you would have a hard time turning a fish against a current or pulling him from any debris, don't let the lure rating fool you, the one I had was rated something like 12oz to 24oz. Good luck.

10. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    i have the solaris and an older 12ft uglystik thats rated 2-12 but i wouldn't go more than 6 on it and compared to the solaris the solaris wins hands down. i have hit 150+yd casts with it and landed a 39in 23lb striper on it i know thats nothing compared to the big cats in the midwest but thats the biggest one i landed on that rod. i don't think you'll be dissappointed with a solaris either and if you were i doubt you'd have trouble unloading it. now if you go for the ocean master?.... good luck i have an original 2pc/1pc rated for 16oz and compared to the ocean master it weights nothing. i have landed sharks upwards of 100+lbs with my 2pc/1pc and its on par with the OM strength wise.

11. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea im just not shur ill half to do more reserch on their streath, i want to get the best for the buck

12. PABowhunter4life

PABowhunter4life New Member

State:
    Blawnox, PA
    Back when I was in to car audio heavily I had a favorite saying..... "Power doesn't blow woofers, morons do". I could run 500 watts to a speaker that was only rated to 50 watts while others were smoking 200 watt subs with a 150 watt amp. I knew how to work the gains and the crossover settings to perfection.

I feel the same way about fishing rods. My biggest flathead to date (20 pounds +) came on a St. Croix ultralight with 6 pound test, another buddy landed a 21# channel on a medium action 7' St. Croix Premier rod with 8 lb. test, yet I hear people that have had ocean rods break in half and they swear the fish they lost was the size of a shark.

My point? Shore fishing doesn't require the gear that boat fishing does unless you are bringing fish up a cliff. Work your drag and learn you rod and don't worry about how "beastly" your rod is :wink:

13. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i think ill stick with the berkly ten foot glowsticks, for now, they are stong and are what i like, i just dont like how heavy they feel,but if i get alot of bros going to solaris i might but but its going to take alot of bros to convice me to buy

14. MrFlathead

MrFlathead New Member

State:
    Il
    I am going to slap you Jacob!!!!! I told you yesterday on the phone that you are not going to break that graphite rod unless you shut it in the door, try reeling in a fish before it is ready or try using a 12" rod for boat fishing!!!!!!!!!! Most of my rods are graphite. My Lamiglass rod that I used when I was stationed in Alaska that I was catching 20-50# king salmon on in a raging river with braided line NEVER BROKE and I promise you a blue will not pull harder than a 50# king salmon in a river that you can not even stand in because it will nock you down. Talk about explosive runs and that rod at the base at the handle isnt even as big around as your pinky finger. I also have a Tica 10" surf rod that I have been using because it is a stiffer rod than my Penn Power Stick and it casts way better and it is 2" shorter. Again I want to assure you that if you break a quality graphite rod it IS your fault LOL. If you are that worried about it, buy your rods from a Bass Pro shop or a Cabellas KEEP the receipt and return it if it breaks for a different brand. Also to get what I know you are wanting it is going to cost you a good 100 bucks or so. A rod that long just costs alot more unless you go to ugly stick but they are not as stiff as you are wanting and you will not be happy i promise. I am not sure about Daiwa because I have never used them but I did see an 11' for $48 yesterday and was thinking about picking it up but didnt. Dont be scared off by graphite, alot of these guys fish like we do and believe it or not we are probibly not the roughest and toughest on our gear yet many of them still use graphite rods.

15. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    now mrflathead your sounding like pat , on that comment lol, i dont need one, them glowsticks are casting far, i had a 5 pound channel bend my rod to the ground on a gamma, i got him in last night , but my bluegill are dieng dew to the heat so i cant get another flathead their, its 90 degree water, so im going to use bullheads, i might get a solaris, but it wont be until i get 500 bucks next week, pm me zach, ill tell you abot that

16. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    why do you ask for peoples advice and knowledge on things then when they give it to you you shrug it off. these people have knowledge of the questions you ask (knowledge and experience that you do not have or you wouldn't be asking questions) and you choose to ignore said advice and keep on babbling about what you think is better product, technique, etc,. you do this in all the threads and posts you make that i have seen. if you are going to ignore sound advice given and the experience others have on matters that you do not then i do not understand the point of even asking the questions in the first place. just do what you wanted to in the first place and stop having good hearted knowledgeable people waste their time giving advice to someone who is not going to listen anyways and in 2 weeks ask the same question again.

17. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    man dude that was my brother lol i was joking man, i live a long ways off to test rods and reels, i cant be buying crap stuff if i dont post man, come on now,im not saying there wrong, how can i, would you like to spend v100 on a rod that dosent cast well or fit your needs, especaly wen your poor,:angry::sad2:

18. bw69r

bw69r Well-Known Member

State:
    West Newton, PA
    don't begrudge anyone asking questions on anything and understand the poor part (as i am as well) but if you go back through and read your posts not just here but in other threads you started on different equipment you have people giving there input on whatever it may be and you basically ignore what they are telling you and give your own opinion on the product which you say you have never used. its all there in your own words and in type. not trying to bash you ( if thats the way you took it) but i just don't get it. that might not be the way you mean it to come across but thats the way it does.

19. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I agree Brian, he asks alot of questions which is good, but in just a few replies, he will just say no I will do it my way..Thats great do it your way..Plus I have seen the same questions asked over and over again...Not trying to jump on the guy, but if you ask a question, you generally want others input, not your own.

20. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Yeah, I have to agree to with what flat and BW are saying. It happens in all of your threads. :beat_brick:

That's why I never post anything in them. :0a30: