Okuma SD 45L

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by rambilt, Feb 10, 2007.

1. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    I ordered two of these reels from BPS for 39.88 a piece plus shipping. I really don't know anything about this reel I thought for 40 bucks it should last at least a season:big_smile: . What do you guys think? Anyone have any experience with this type of reel from Okuma. I like their Epixor line of spinning reel, so I'm hoping that the quality would be the same.

2. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    rambilt, I use my SD 45 for Salt water action and they are GREAT! I am not casting them so I can not say wheather they are good for this. I have hauled up numerous Cod and Sealochs with them and did not regret my purchase. Once you have set the weight tension correctly, I beleive you will be able to cast them as well. JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

3. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Hey HOPPY4, I'll be using the SD 45 also in saltwater. I'm planning of doing some Surf fishing at the gulf for a week next month. That maybe the only time I'll be using this reel along with three PENN 330GTI I bought. I'm collecting salwater tackle for me and the wife. Just trying to be ready. I'll mate the SD 45s with 30lb mono andf 12' pole by American Rodsmith. They are reasonably price at Academy. Thanks for your response. Good luck to you.

4. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    rambilt, I also have a couple of other Okuma reels that are Great. While using them in Norway, I was able to boat fish with ease. I also have the Penns that are used and I am HAPPY with both companies equipment. The Gulf will prove to be an exsperience for you! I am originally from Jackson, MS and have spent time on the Gulf Coast piers and LOVED it. Good Luck to you and the wife during your vacation!

HOPPY4

5. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I personally hate mine. I was about to give it away. Its the worst reel I have ever used in my life. Sorry about your luck man. Should have went with the tidewater.

6. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas

Can you elaborate how you hate yours.

7. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    We would like to hear what problems that you have with the reel!!!!

HOPPY4

8. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    HOPPY4, I received the Okumas' SD 45L. You are absolutely right, they are not bad at all. The clicker is pretty loud and it cranks very smooth. I tighthened the drag and pulled on it and it releases the line smmothly. I think I'm keeping them. The rod I mounted it on is the 12' American Rodsmith from Academy. The PENN 330 GTI close to it, I bought it from Ebay used for 48.00 bux it's not bad.

Check out the Pix: [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I've never used the SD 45, but if they are built anything like the two Okumas that I have, you will love them. Smooth.

10. CJ21

CJ21 New Member

State:
    Montgomery, Alabama
    Ram those are some nice rrels.

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    rambilt, I Trust that you will have many hours and possibly years of Great fishing wit the New Reel. I hope to receive my New reels by Friday or Monday at the lattest. The wife and I were at BP on yesterday and I purchased PP for them. Maybe, if the weather is Good, I will be out next Saturday or Sunday. Again to you and the wife, Enjoy the Gulf Coast and take time to do catch more than just FISH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

12. rambilt

rambilt New Member

State:
    Texas
    Thanks, Hoppy4 and good luck to you too and your wife fishing this weekend.