Okuma Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by billfish76, Dec 21, 2007.

1. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    I have been looking for some new reels for offshore fishing and started looking around and have been seeing the Okuma reels. I havent heard great things about their older big game offshore reels. I think they have improved some problems, But dont know anything about the smaller ones like the CL302L and line counter ones. Does anyone have anything to say about these???

2. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    I have a cv20l a cv55l a titus10 and 3 spinning reels and they are my favorites. Okuma is well built and worth the money. Dont let the low price fool ya.

3. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I dont know about the new conventional reels but have used the Coronado spinning reels for years and I am very happy with them. My dad did have some older line counters for up in lake Michigan and they were junk but the newer ones look like they are built better.

4. catfishscotty

catfishscotty Well-Known Member

State:
    mo
    they didnt hold up very well for me i wont buy them again but i fish alot also average 4 days a week between me and my dad we had 6 with line counters and 6 with out for river fishing yes they cheap around 40 dollars but u get what u pay for. i like abu garcia the best myself unless u can spend over 200 dollars a reel .

5. alands94

alands94 Active Member

State:
    Lebanon, I
    I bought 2 Okuma Magda line counters this year. So far, so good!

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I really like my Coronado CD90 spinning reels.I have had them 3+ years but have not fished them or had them fished much.

I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. stlcatman

stlcatman New Member

State:
    Imperial, MO
    I have the two of the 90's as well and have fished very hard with them over the past 3 yrs, they are a great real. I bought mine in Florida to fish off of the bridges in the keys for sharks. I have caught some pretty nice sharks with those reels and they are still working like new. My buddy bought one this year and the first fish he landed with it was a 62 lb blue cat in heavy current. They have a good drag and plenty of power.

8. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Ive had a cl300l for a few years and have cought a few 30's with it and it still seems to work fine.

9. brad kilpatrick

brad kilpatrick New Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Okuma Reels are a very resonably priced reel and hold up well for the money. I myself prefer Abu's but I am going to add a few okumas to My arsenal for guiding. You can get Okuma reels from one of Our BOC sponsors Catfish Safari. Here at the BOC We support those who support us when ever possible!
    http://www.shop.catfishsafari.com/main.sc

10. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i guess brad said it better they are good reels that hold up well for the money they are not the smoothest but they do the job and seem to last. they have one of the strongest drags ive seen but not real smoothe, they have a crappy clicker and cast break but work. so i guess durability ranked over smoothness this would be a great buy.

11. duckbuster

duckbuster New Member

State:
    Ballard Co., Kentucky
    I bought a 300cl last year and so far so good. I've landed a few in the 30lb range and one 42lb with it. Probably going to buy another this year.

12. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Thanks for the info. I just got a 302CL so well see what it can or cant do. After I use it a while Ill post my thoughts.

13. daystarchis

daystarchis New Member

State:
    Clovis Cali
    So how did she work? Just got one too. Looking for info on it.

14. billfish76

billfish76 Active Member

State:
    Rock Hill, SC
    Honestly I havent really used them yet. Im going to put them to the test this spring when Wyliecat and I take his boat to the coast so I can put him on some sharks.

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Brad I didn't know you did guiding here in K.C. I never noticed that on the website, what are the cost involved?