Okuma Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by KingKAt35, Jan 19, 2006.

1. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    Im looking at purshasing a OKUMA SD55L for a baitcating reel to go on a 7' custom heavy action rod. Anybody heard any good about this reel.

2. Flyingpig

Flyingpig New Member

State:
    Lakewood, Illinois
    KingKat35, I have all of the Okuma Star Drag reels the SD20L, SD30L, SD45L and the SD55L. I have the SD55L mounted onto a 9' Nite Stick and so far, I'm really pleased with how the reel operates. It casts smooth and with the longer rod I can really get it out there to get to some of the harder spots where we're fishing at. They all seem to have a very audible Bait Clicker which is one of it's features I really like. When it goes off, at least you can here it, where as some of the other Bait Clickers seem to be a little quieter. It also has a great line capacity, I currently have this one, holding a spool of 375 yd. 40lb. Cajun Red. All in all, I am really pleased with how these reels work. (JMHO). The Catfish Connection , one of the B.O.C.'s sponsors, carries these reels at a fair price too.
    Hope this helps you out a little.

3. bro_catfish

bro_catfish New Member

State:
    Ohio ,Coshocton County
    Thats great info and has helped me in my search for another reel
    Thanks a lot

4. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    I use one as a snaggin' reel for spoonies, like it very much, smooth action and not too bad on your wallet either:thumbsup:

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have 2 of these reels, but have not put them to the HEAVY test thus far. I have purchased them for use in SALT Water applications. They will be JIG Fished more that Trolling or Casting. I look forward to having them with me in Norway in June 2006. I Love the feel of the SD45s that I have and think that they will work well. I have 100lb. Power Pro as my main line and will add the patternoster of 130lb. with the lures. This should work for all situation that we run into with multiple hooks. I also have 2 of the 903LD that can be used for Light Trolling or Heavy Pilking. These have 200lb. main lines and the lever drag is fantastic. I used one of them last summer in Norway and was Very Satisfied with it's performance. The equipment that they make is Very Good, but the prices that they are sold for are FANTASTIC!!!

HOPPY4

6. KingKAt35

KingKAt35 New Member

State:
    Kansas City Missouri
    Thanks guys. Thats the information I was looking for. I think I am going to purchase this reel. Thanks for all the information and help

7. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    I've had an Okuma 300L Classic for about 2 years now, and really like it. And like Flyingpig said, it has a very loud clicker.
    Rat

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I wasn't able to make a correct test of the 903LD reel on yesterday, but made these observations. The movement of the lever to the Free Spool position (Completely Down or to the Rear) did not effect the spool the same as the adjustment on other reels with a Star drag. The turning of the knob (On the lever handle) in the lowest setting before the freespool will allow for casting under control. Let it be known, an educated thumb is a Big Positive! I was able to toss it underhand without much effort. The possibility or likely hood of a backlash/birdsnest is high. I would not hesitate to use one for casting at distance or as my primary usage as a pilking reels for saltwater. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4