Okuma reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by vfourmax, Aug 15, 2007.

1. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Just recently picked up two Okuma Epixor EF80 reels new in the box off of e-bay for what I felt was a really good price. 9 sealed ball bearings and a quick set anti-reverse one way bearing. Reels came with a stainless steel reinforced aluminum spool and a spare graphite spool. They feel really smooth and are rated to hold 280 yds of 25# line. Not bad for 47.00 dollars each I don't think! Matching them up on ugly stick MED-HEAVY Catfish rod. Cannot wait to try them out on the water! Anybody have one of these and have any feedback on the reels?

2. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey vfourmax there was a recent discussion on Okuma reels if you do a search. I bought an Okuma Avenger which the bail failed on me after a few casts. But the reel did seem super smooth and had a really strong drag. Could of just been a dud who knows wish you the best of luck with those reels.

3. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Thanks for the reply. I had searched and was aware of the problems concerning the avenger reels so I had crossed that model off during my search.
    The epixor is supposed to be higher in the food chain so to speak as far as Okuma's models go so hopefully it will not exhibit those same characteristics.
    I have always looked for good quality in a decent price point and have gotten some great and some not so great products.
    In the ultra light catagory I started using the pinnacle brand spinning reels several years ago and they have been fantastic! I think they are better than some of the Diawa and abu ultra lights I also own as least in the smoothness dept.
    I am genereally not hard on my equipment so hopefully these reels will match the experience I have with the pinnacles. Still interested if anyone else has used this particuliair model and or size reel and what their opinions are.

4. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Yeah I bought mine two years ago so the verdict still wasnt out. I later did find out that many people had the same problem. Since I bought it off the internet i figured it wasnt worth the trouble of returning it(it was the Avenger 65). The reel is still usable but i would hate to bring it then the bail get stuck on me so it just sits in the basement. :roll_eyes: The Pfluger President i bought back in May has been impressive. I only paid $40.00 it was on a one day special type clearance sale then they bumped the price back to $60. Just in case you ever in the market for another reel.

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    vfourmax, I had 2 of the 2003 model Epixor EB-80 models and Loved them. I say this as a Past Tense due to theivery!!! I found the reels to be Very Strong and Dependable. I also found them to be HEAVY and required a rod that was longer to balance the setup. They are smooth and the Drags are FANTASTIC. For Catfishing, you will not find a fish in the USA that will overpower you when using it. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

6. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have the Okuma Coronado CD90's.Seem to be very good reels but I am no longer able to test a reel off of the Georgia coast on the kind of fish these reels were built for.The stainless Steel gears will never "wear in"and be as smooth as brass gears but are much stronger. Angel.Many used the old saltwater Penn spinners with out the wire.Can you remove yours and put your line off and on manually?Many surf fishing anglers buy such reels or modify their reels today.Look up the Van Staal to see what I am talking about as you can buy them either way.Some will fish no other way.It is a matter of getting use to it.Now I don;t know about thin braid.The only one I ever tried was a Penn years ago with mono.I think that some remove only the (exposed) wire part of the bail by cutting and filling it off even where it comes out.Removing parts may or will affect your balance and give you the wobbles.I have no idea what part broke on your reel.I have operated my wire bails manually all of my life.Personally,I think that they last longer and give you less trouble.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

7. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    Hey pee-wee i remember someone using an old reel last summer. Possibly older than me without a bail i thought to my self what in the world is that. Then he preceded to tell me it was a old reel and thats the way they used to come sorta of like an army green color. When i try to manually flip the bail open it gets stuck and a harsh clank noise. It sometimes gets stuck in that position then i have to open her up and release the mechanism. It seem such a brute of a reel other wise if wasnt for that problem.

8. vfourmax

vfourmax New Member

State:
    Va
    Hoppy, Thanks for the feedback! From the feel of the reel I was thinking the performance would be as you described but it is nice to hear feedback from someone that has experience in the field with the product.
    I have mated them up to 7' MH ugly stick catfish rods and spooled them with 30# big game line. Will be a couple of more weeks to hopefully be able to put them to the test as I am going to go down to Buggs Island lake for about 4 days of relaxation and fishing. Buggs is a hot spot for big cats in the 40-60 lb. range and 10-15lb Blues are just a regular night on the lake!
    Thanks for the feedback!

9. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
    I have an Avenger ABF-65 combo that I have had no problems with. I love it. I also have a Fin Chaser combo which I just caught my PB flathead (38.9#) with. No problems with that one either.

Just like cars, sometimes you just get lemons.

10. Cattoo

Cattoo New Member

State:
    caneyville,ky.
    i have 2 okuma reels. a classic pro 30l and a big spinning reel (which i can't remeber the name of). both of these reels have landed 50+ pound fish. they are cheaper models and have alot of plastic but they have not let me down. i plan on buying a couple okuma convectors this fall.