Okuma reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Rookie12, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Has anyone here ever used Okuma reels? I'm looking at getting a couple of new outfits and was looking at the Okuma reels. I found a couple of rods that I like. They are catfish master rods and only run about 20$, but have a real good action to them. They got plenty of backbone, but aren't too heavy either. The reel I was looking at is an Okuma 202L. It is a 3 ball bearing reel, with bait clicker and it's a conventional levelwind. It will hold about 180 yds. of 20 lb. test. The reel is 34$. %$ bucks ain't bad for a decent combo. just wondering if anyone uses these reels. Thanks for your input.

2. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I just bought a 200CL Okuma Classic haven't got to use it yet though. From the way it looks it's put together pretty good and the clicker is so loud theres no way to sleep through it.

3. vegasryder

vegasryder New Member

State:
    illinois
    My buddy has one but i dont know the exact model of the bait caster.Extremely light.The only downfall i see is that you can barely hear the clicker.

4. Gone fishin 4 kittys

Gone fishin 4 kittys New Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I got one a couple days ago. Good real, But i still have to catch something on it!

Josh

5. RiverKing

RiverKing New Member

State:
    Yellow Spr
    Just to tell you, My brother Boss Hogg, and my friend chris both have one, and neither one of them like it...I mean different people like different things...But they dont have anything good to say about it

6. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    I have 2 of them on a couple of rods and so far they have worked well...I can not vouch for longevity but hey...for a basic catfishing reel for around $30-$35 what can you ask for? They are not Penns or Abus but they aren't in that price range either. I think for the catman on a budget they work just fine.

7. laidbck111

laidbck111 New Member

I got mine for 16 dollars with shipping so I thought I would give them a try. So I am not out hardly any money and I think it will do fine on the fish I have been catching on Lake Jordan, up to 12 pounds. I have heard both good and bad about the reels but I thought I would at least try it out at that price how wrong could I be?

8. Rookie12

Rookie12 New Member

State:
    Kannapolis, NC
    Appreciate all the input. I am definately on a budget. With a wife and 2 kids and I am the only one working while she watches the younguns, i definately think this is a good reel for me. I know several guys who have Okuma spinning reels and they love them. This one has a very loud clicker also. Another feature that I like in case I doze off in the middle of the night. It's nice to wake up to that thing screaming. thanks a lot!!

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Let us know how they work out for ya please.:big_smile:

10. Big Sam

Big Sam Well-Known Member

State:
    Booneville AR
    Name:
    Sam
    I tested some for a tackle company under tournament conditions..I believe it was the 20L or 202L something like that...I didn't like them at all:crazy:

11. jerseycat9

jerseycat9 New Member

State:
    Oakwood Georgia
    I use them for my striper fishin exclusively and I got nothin but good things to say about them but I use the bigger spinning reels

12. Mutt

Mutt Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    Ca
    Name:
    Mutt
    They are like most any other real they have thier good ones and thier bad ones. Keep in mind as said before buy the best one you can afford. I have seen some nice looking units from them have a couple of firends that use thier reels and havnt had any problems with them yet.