Okuma Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by tricitycatter, Dec 24, 2009.

1. tricitycatter

tricitycatter Member

State:
    Washington
    I recently purchased 2 Okuma Avenger 55a's to use for my catfishin, plan on having em strung with 40 lb braid, still not sure what pole I am gonna get to put em on. I can't wait to use em. I picked up 2 Okuma Helix II H-40's in October for steel head fishin & I just love the way they perform, got 30 lb braid on em, put them on a 8'6" Tika Salmon/Steelhead rod, the combo is outstanding, with the braid I can feel every turn the fish makes, and man the hook sets are outragiously solid. The Avenger has more ball bearings than the Helix so I can only imagine the feel. I have also tried a buddys Okuma Inspira 40 and I can tell you that it is worth every penny of the $125 he spent on it. I have 2 old Shimono Mark IV quickfire reels I still use for trout & spiny rays, but I am thinking of upgrading those to Okuma Reels as well.

2. katman#1

katman#1 New Member

State:
    South Carolina
    okuma reels i have never used there baitcast but i did have two okuma open face reels i sold to a buddy hes still using them they were nice reels never let me down

3. ramon06

ramon06 Well-Known Member

State:
    Alabama
    Yeah I have a Helix 40 spinning reel and love it, I also love my 450L baitcaster they are great reels and reasonably priced.

4. holliswood

holliswood Well-Known Member

State:
    King, NC
    I have a Okuma reel thats black and gold, I call it Demon Deacon. It has always given me good performance and its always smooth on the reel in.

5. Catfish_Commando

Catfish_Commando TF Staff Member

State:
    Georgia
    Hard to beat Okuma...

They are hungry to develop relationships with catfish anglers and are working hard to slice out a piece of the market.

Some very good reels.

6. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    I picked up a cheapie ($35) Okuma Magda Pro line counter this fall, and it's pretty good for such an inexpensive reel. Super strong drag, good clicker, and reasonably smooth.

But where Okuma has really impressed me is with their rods. I've got an EVX Musky Rod, the 6'10" XH, that I use for bottom bouncing, and the strength and sensitivity blow away several other rods I have in the same class, including a much more expensive St Croix Musky Rod.

7. plainsman

plainsman New Member Supporting Member

State:
    minnesota
    I never heard anything bad about Okuma, its inexpensive and works. I may even get one someday. At present I got more than I can use.

8. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    I wouldn't call them inexpensive... like any other company in today's world, they have low end and high end products, with plenty in the middle. I've only heard positive things about the company.

In the past, they did a lot of OEM work for Shimano. Okuma wanted better margin, I believe, and Shimano wouldn't give it to them. So Okuma decided to hit the market under their own line.

9. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    I own 2 Okuma Avenger baitfeeders 65 size they are great reels never any problems with them very reasonable price all the ease of a spinning reel all the versatility of a clicker great reel not as many ball bearings as a Shimano but works and reels in the same fish:wink:

10. Shawn

Shawn New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I put up a review of the salt-striker baitfeeder, which is basically an Epixor. Smooth operation, nice reel. I really like it.

I don't use the baitfeeder feature much, but if you do the clicker is very quiet.

Shawn

11. readingcatfisher

readingcatfisher New Member

State:
    Berks coun
    If I were going out to buy another reel for the money Okuma reels are the best deal.

12. timmyjane

timmyjane New Member

State:
    SC
  13. moriverfish

moriverfish Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Hey Gary, where di you get your EVX Musky Rod, the 6'10" XH?

Thanks, John

14. GaryF

GaryF New Member

State:
    O.P., KS
    It's a place called Hi's Tacklebox.... I'm not sure I can post the link, but you can Google them. A couple of places have lower prices, but Hi's more than makes up for it with free shipping.

15. kyelkhunter3006

kyelkhunter3006 New Member

State:
    Ky
    Hi's Tacklebox is a GREAT place to buy gear, especially rods. I get a lot of stuff from there.

16. oklakugels

oklakugels New Member

State:
    Oklahoma
    I got two Okuma Tundra spinning combos from Wal-Mart for forty bucks each, I don't have any expensive stuff to compare them to but I'm pretty sure they are the best for the price, I haven't caught any monster's but they are outstanding for everything I use them for especially for the torture I put them through, also I seen the same combos at the local bait shop for eighty bucks a pop i few weeks later, I wish I would have picked up one or two more when I had the chance.