Catfish Angler Forum at USCA banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
If you are talking about bait casters 6500 and 7000 series Abu's, I would stay right where you are. Okuma makes some nice spinning reels, but I don't believe their baitcasters are in the same ballpark as Abu's. Good luck.

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
Yep, I'd definitely stick with Abu if you're talking baitcaster. If you want spinning outfits, go with the Okuma baitfeeder series. Size 40 would do well for line as light as 12 lb mono. Size 50 would be fine for 15 lb to 17 lb mono, then sizes 65, 80, and 90 for heavier line. I have the Okuma Avenger ABF in sizes 30, 50, and 90. The 30 is spooled with 10 lb mono for light cattin, bass fishing and heavier panfishing. My ABF 50 is on an 8' Ugly Stik Catfish rod, and the HUGE ABF 90 is on a 12' surf rod.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
yeah the gentleman are right. I have a few Okumas, you will feel downgraded as far as smoothness and clicker but the Drag is just as strong. However Okuma is excellent and I love mine. The 450L is one of my favorite for Big kitties and the 300XT series are nice and about the same size as a 6500. The Okuma spinning reels are great too. Just dont switch from 6500s & 7000s expecting to see a drastic improvement.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.