Okuma Reel - Need Help! - Am I Just Stupid?

Discussion in 'General Conversation' started by tanner, May 11, 2006.

1. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    All right guys. A friend of mine gave me this reel because he could not figure it out. It's a brand spankin' new outta the box Okuma Convector 30. First off...I can't figure out how in the heck you spool the line on there. I'm used to Abu baitcasters and it's a pretty straight forward process. But this reel has no hole for which to thread the line through before you tie it on the spool. Secondly...I have NO IDEA how you would cast this thing...is this not a casting reel? It has an Off/On switch...okay... Help me guys! A picture is attached of the reel.

Signed,
    Confused Okuma User :lol:

Attached Files:

2. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Tanner, the Convector 30's have several models, and the one's with the level winds are the D, L and LX models. I'm guessing you don't have a D,L or LX model since I don't see a level wind in the picture you posted. With no level wind, you have to use your thumb to move the line across the spool to keep it level on the spool. Learning to do that correctly can take a long time to master. A real long time.
    To answer your question, the line should just tie around the spool and go through the eyelets of the rod, and the on/off button disengages the reel so you can cast. Flip it to the off setting before casting.
    Unless you have the patience of Job, I'd return the reel to the friend with a "Thanks, but no thanks." Lol
    Rat

3. TNVOLCAT

TNVOLCAT New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    Tanner, it looks to me that it's a non-levelwind reel, so you would just tie the line directly to the spool. You have to use your thumb to guide the line back on the spool evenly when reeling in. I also believe the on/off switch is indeed how you engage or dis-engage the reel. I hope this helps, nice looking reel, congrats! If you don't want it you can send it to me, LOL!

4. tanner

tanner New Member

State:
    Somerset, Kentucky
    thanks guys.....:big_smile:

5. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    First off.You sound pretty smart to me.You realize that all of us are ignorant,except for the know it alls that go through life screwing up everyones life.The rest of us ask,think and decide.Now for my opinion on the reel.NICE REEL.Trolling reel.Stainless steel gears,3 stainless steel ball bearings,high speed engagement,rated for 330 yards of 20 pound line and cost $119.99 plus shipping at Cabelas.He gave you a nice reel.You look to be young enough,and act smart enough to learn to use it.With the right rod it would be a great reel to drift for large cats as they do at Santee Cooper.Great Striped Bass reel.Great salt water reel for King Mackerel,Jack,Cobia,etc.It should handle the largest fresh water game fish and last forever in fresh water,being it was built "salt water tough".It would also stand up to and be great for that trip to the coast.NOW! this is just my opinion,after 50+ years of fishing fresh and salt water.Wish you the best of luck whatever you decide.peewee-williams

6. Gator

Gator New Member

State:
    Ludowici GA
    Tanner i will take it off your hand as I don't like level winds.