Okuma or Penn?

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kdm75, Feb 21, 2007.

1. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    Im looking at buying a Okoma baitrunner reel forget the model but its the one with 10 ballbearings. The other reel is a Penn Captiva Live Liner. both reels seem smooth, I think the okuma has a bit louder click on the drag. I'm leaning more to the okuma than the penn. I have heard alot of good things about the okuma and have heard much on the penn. What are your thoughts?

2. gadzooks

gadzooks New Member

State:
    Kingwood, Tx (Houston)
    Don't have the bait runner Captiva, but do have a CV4000. Its one of the best spinning reels for the money I've ever had. Very smooth.

3. BigCatDreaming

BigCatDreaming New Member

State:
    Illinois
    I am going to have to go with what Mr. Jerry said about the Penn's. I had one for awhile and it was an amazing reel. Mine was a spinning reel though, but quality shows.

4. CoonX

CoonX Member

State:
    Oklahoma City O
    You're thinking of the Okuma Epixor baitfeeder. I have 4 EB-50s and a EB-30. As for the one with the loudest clicker, gotta go with the Mitchell Fullrunner Electronic spinning reel. That's the only spinning reel with a built in "clicker".
    All other baitfeeder style reels rely on an external bite alarm.
    Will

5. Hannibal Mike

Hannibal Mike New Member

State:
    Hannibal, MO
    That mitchell is really something in low light or nite. The red light shows every movement and looks like a squad car when there is a strong run. All the reels mentioned are good. Hannibal Mike

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    kdm75, What CoonX has stated is 100% true about the CLICKERS. I must also chime in that the Okuma EB-80s that I had were FANTASTIC and I did not have a problem with them. The Penns, I have not tried nor have I been around someone who had them. There has been much written about the OKUMA reels of late. I have not had the problem of the Baitrunner not engaging in the time that I used them. I will say this as well, for a True Baitrunner reel, You Will Need to Purchase a Shimano! There are numberous other brands available today, but the original is still that best at this point.

HOPPY4

7. kdm75

kdm75 New Member

State:
    north carolina
    thanks to every one for there input. I think im going to get the penn, The only okuma they had was the big one and well it too big for my likeing plus the penn is 20 bucks cheaper and looks better to me.Now with that savings i can go buy me another sinker mold lol.

8. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    My wife and I were at the Hamburg, PA Cabela's over the weekend and I was able to see and feel a Okuma Avenger. To my surprise, I found them to be very sturdy reels and at a price that would please anyone. Due to my replacement woes, I am picking up gear as we go. I grabbed 2 of the Avenger ABF65s and had them out on Sunday morning. I found them to be sturdy, well built and very functional. I had never seen one of these while I was in Germany as this is an American distribution. The LOWER end reels by Okuma that I had seen did not "Float my BOAT" as they say. I was content with the EB-80s that I had and did not consider the lesser models. I can say that I will be using these for a WHILE to COME!

HOPPY4

9. jtrew

jtrew New Member

State:
    Little Rock, AR
    One thing you should consider is the availability of parts. Many manufacturers of excellent reels will only carry parts for those reels for 5 years after the company quits making that model. Don't know about Okuma, but I can still get parts for a Penn I bought back in 1965.

10. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    I have thought a lot about this.I think a lot of the Penn part availability is going to go just like the auto part business did once the Asians control it.When the cars and parts were made in America,about all you needed was year,make and 6 or 8 cylinder.Often the same part would span years without change.The parts systems went to metric,to foreign, and to manure.Not only that,it took years to straighten it out.There was a good long span of years when you never knew what you were going to get for a replacement part,or if it would fit.We forgot everything we were taught by Henry Ford and 2 world wars.You can still find some parts for 60 year old farm tractors easier than you can find some 6 year old car parts.Shameful but true.Young folk,it will be your problem.I really think that my generation has seen the best of sport fishing.If you young people don;t do a better job than we did on preserving it,your grandchildren will find it a sport for the wealthy only.Are we to be a predominately Asian Carp fisherman country as Europe is today?We seem to be heading that way in a hurry.I hope I am wrong.I do know that it sure cost a lot more now than it did in my youth and fish were a lot more plentiful.Many people now buy a rod and reel,use it until it breaks and buy another.Yes we are already into disposable fishing gear.Why not?After all,this is how the modern Mom and Dad raises their modern family.Even disposable husbands,wifes children and families.Just look at the divorce rate and broken homes.Yes we have even gotten to where some willfully and knowingly dispose of people when it benefits them.After all,it is legal and financially beneficial for many.I love you Brothers and Sisters.peewee

11. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Peewee, You are beginning to be a Spokeman for the Public I see! Your points are well taken and have merit. Yet we do need to adapt to those changes and make use of what is Good and Identify what is not for others to know. The problem is that we are all too buisy to listen to those who have gone before us. This make us all GUILTY at one time or another of Throwing away rather than Repairing what has worked. Thank You again for bringing the Truth back to the LIGHT as it were.

Later,
    HOPPY4

12. Ohio Trophy Hunter

Ohio Trophy Hunter New Member

State:
    Columbus Ohio
    we got an okuma eb65 for cattin' and i have to say, it is the smoothest spinning reel i have ever handeled! 2 seasons in without a hitch, and still works as well as day one. the drag can REALLY clamp down and stay smooth too.
    if this reel stays this nice for two more seasons, i'll be replacing all my spinning reels with okuma's!

now if i can just get it out of wendy's hands for a few casts?????
    we keep power pro 50# on it and it casts a MILE!

can't afford to try the shimano (great reels) but the okuma "clicker" is definately louder.

Eric B