The United States Catfish Association Forum and Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Josh from Alabama
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at this reel for almost a year. I would like some input by those that have owned or used the reel. There is not a lot of videos or reviews of it. I think it would make a great catfish/striper reel. The main con I've seen is line capacity but I typically fish from a boat. They can be purchased for around $188 on Ebay new. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
I have been looking at this reel for almost a year. I would like some input by those that have owned or used the reel. There is not a lot of videos or reviews of it. I think it would make a great catfish/striper reel. The main con I've seen is line capacity but I typically fish from a boat. They can be purchased for around $188 on Ebay new. Any info is much appreciated. Thanks
$188 is a good price.

There are videos of gong lei and larry dahlberg using the reel.

There are a couple other videos of Tackle Advisors testing the reel where he knocks the casting distance. But, if you pay close attention to the reel the spool is only filled up 2/3rds the way.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
The Komodo 364SS is just like its bigger brother, all metal frame and all stainless steel drive train. No other low profile reel is built with so much stainless steel. For all intents and purposes the reel has the internal guts of a conventional reel with the appearance pf a low pro.

You can get 130yds, maybe 150yds, of 50lb braid on the reel depending on the brand.

The reel does have a very smooth drag that is true to its rating of 25lbs.

If you want to double down on cranking power you can swap the stock handle for the handle off an Okuma Tesoro.

Casting distance os on pair with just about any other baitcaster I have used, but since you are on a boat casting distance isn't so much of a big deal.

·
Banned
1,666 Posts
I really like my 364 and only sold it once I decided to replace it with a 471SS.

I now have 4 Komodos, one 273 and 3 471's. I may actually get a 364 again as it was a compact work horse that would work well for when I don't need the 471.

Before I replaced the 364 it was my go to for big baits, big weights, and big flatheads. Caating 8oz plus weight with a 10in to 14in live bait then cranking it back against the current of a big lowhead dam was nothing.

The reels start out a bit geary due to running stainless steel gears on stainless steel, but once broken in they have a very smooth and fluid feel to the handle.

·
Registered
3,318 Posts
just buy it and try it.
reels hold their value well. keep the box and all the candy that came with it.
try it out and if you dont like it sell it.

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
See if you can find one of the original 350 Komodo reels.

More bearings plus louder and stronger clicker.

I received mine when they were first released and have been using it since.

It holds about 150 yards of 20 pound mono but I mainly fish close to shore at night and cast no more than a few yards out so line capacity has never been an issue.

With 80 pound braid...long casts are a breeze.

I have one of the newer Komodo 464 reels and the bait clicker is a major disappointment so I rarely use it for catfishing.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I actually like using the cheaper Citrix 350. The Komodos are solid reels that are built for saltwater. A lot of good catfish gear came from the saltwater arena. The line capacity is the only thing I dont like about them. You cant fish a lot of heavy mono on them. Using braid you will be fine. I think they pair good with grahite rods for catfishing out of a kayak and fishing in thick wood. Excellent Flathead winches.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts