Okuma = Garbage

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by Boss Hogg, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    I purchased this okuma SD 45L reel from CatfishConnection, it is the sorriest excuse for a reel I have ever seen. I should have got a tidewater instead. This reel is really garbage. One thing is the flip forward to cast thing...garbaga (tidewater has it too) next thing is line out alarm, when its on you gotta flip the line out switch instead of turning handle, other thing is the casting, i tightened up the bolt so my 3 oz sinker wouldnt fly to the floor and the stupid thing broke. I have had so much trouble with this. DO NOT BUY THE SD45L. It should be recalled. It is garbage and I hate it! I will never buy an Okuma product for as long as I live, I swear on everything I wont.

2. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,
    Be careful there lad! I like you and don't want to see you step on your weenie out here in internet land. I have a very nice Okuma reel that has done me quite well. It's possible you got a bad one. Before you put that maybe deservedly bad rap to the reel manufacturer, have you tried to contact Catfish Connection, and/or Okuma? Their customer service may be great... or it may not, but I hope you gave them an opportunity before you obliterated them. My Momma always said, you'll get more in life with a spoonful of honey than a bucketful of vinegar.... Wise woman :wink:

3. DeerHunter01

DeerHunter01 New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Boss Hogg :

The one thing you pointed out is throwing the lever forward to cast out, on alot of very good reels they do the same thing, you can not engage the reel for it to go back you must flip it back down, alot of very good Penn reels are made the same way. On your drag system or brake system you need to loosen them when not in use and when you go out re-set them to what weight you have on the line. I am not familiar with the one you have but all reels will give you problems if your not familiar with how they are supposed to work. I have seen some darn good Okuma reels , my Son has one and it works very well. Its all getting use to the reel you buy, Abu has a nice set up on there reels where you just dis-engage the reel and cast and turn the handle and it engages which makes it nice. I am sure if you call catfish connection and explain to John what happened I am sure he would work with you on this problem, in case you want to exchange it for something else.

Thanks
    D/H

4. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Your right loanWizard, I guess I should see if Okuma will make it right by me first. I thought that OkumaMatata meant no worries, well I was wrong.

5. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Okay, called Okuma, they are fixing the reel, I only have to pay for shipping. They were pretty nice on the phone. Just another case of me shooting off at the mouth too early. They stand behind their products.

6. teaysvalleyguy

teaysvalleyguy New Member

State:
    GC, OHIO
    I have a Okuma Spinning reel, have never had any problems with it.

But heck, every now and then a manufacturer will mess up. It happens, understand your frustration though.

7. snagger93

snagger93 New Member

State:
    kentucky
    I got a cheap okuma off ebay with 12lb test And has never messed up and caught 3 or 4 20+ carp as well as a 23 lb blue

8. copycat

copycat New Member

State:
    New Jersey
    I also have an Okuma reel (Induron 400 LX) model and I have to say I love it!
    Same quality as the Shimano Calcutta at less than half the price.

9. ohiohawghunter45067

ohiohawghunter45067 New Member

State:
    Trenton, Ohio
    got 3 okuma corrida's (2) 65 SERIES AND (1) 90 SERIES never have i had any problem from them. okuma is an awesome product. but just like every company they all have some flaws....

10. FlatheadMan

FlatheadMan New Member

State:
    Freedom,Pa
    Just purchased 2 okuma 452l's and love em caught a 26# flatty last night held up great.

11. tbartek

tbartek New Member Supporting Member

State:
    New Germany, PA
    Have to agree with most members here, I have two okuma spinning reels and they have performed like champs so far. It's nice to know that they are going to stand behind their reels in case anything hsappens to mine.:smile2:

12. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    I have a few Okuma reels, I like them ok, only some minor problems with the ones I've had and I used them hard. Tidewater is a little better then most Okuma's in my opinion. Of course you can't go wrong with the trusty Penn though.

13. flaboy

flaboy New Member

State:
    Wedgefield, SC
    I have a coupla okuma 454s castin reels and they work ok. maby just a bad one slipped thru!

14. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    The only Okuma baitcaster I would trust is the Induron 400

15. Catfish Pursuit

Catfish Pursuit New Member

State:
    Missouri
    I just switched over to baitcasters from the old zebco 808's. First one I bought was an Okuma Classic CL300L and it was good. I bought 2 more Okuma Classic Pro CL302L's and they are absolutely awesome. They're just as smooth as the Abu 6500's and cast as far but only cost $35 each. Got mine off of ebay. Caught a lot of fish on them, biggest so far was a 35 pound flathead and no problems or hints of problems. Might trade for one of these reels if you can. I spool with 30 pound big game and use 7 foot big game rods. Chris

16. Boss Hogg

Boss Hogg New Member

State:
    Yellow Springs, Ohio
    Dang, sounds like we have team okuma in here or something. I just need to stop comparing the reel to my other reels. I also have a Tica Caiman CA200 which is the best smoothest reel I will ever own (12 ball bearings) and a newly purchased Abu Garcia Record RCN 60 High Capacity. Both of these reels take dumps on the Okuma that I own. At least Okuma did say they would fix it.

17. flathunter

flathunter New Member

State:
    Ohio
    I think Okuma should have to pay for the shipping, it's there problem

18. EsoxJohnny

EsoxJohnny New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I have to put in a good mention for the Tica Caiman as well. I have thrown the CM-200 a little bit and it is by far the best $100 range baitcaster i've used. I personally think it's better than the Record as well. It is leaps and bounds better than any of the Okuma's. And it lifts it's leg to the Cardiff as well.

19. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Ok, lets talk about the Okuma Baitcasting reels that have proven to be worth while for me. I used the CV-45L this past week and found it to be FANTASTIC with fish to 28lb. without a blemish. I had fish on the Magda Pro 30D to 25lb. And the Depth indicator worked perfectly to maintain a continuous location of the school. The SD-45 was also a shinning star that performed without a doubt the tedious task of multiple fish on the take with a 1lb. weight to get it down to the depth required. Now to the one complaint that I have with one of the Okuma reels. I have a BTL-907 Lever Drag that the gears stripped and although it would reel in the fish, it would allow line to be pulled off when setting the hook. I have returned it to the tackle firm that I purchased it from and was immediately provided a NEW reel. While there, my wife got another one of these as well. I have registered the reels that I have purchased from Okuma and feel confident that the firm will Back Up all claims made. I have other reels from this firm and Trust them when I am fishing. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

20. shawn00

shawn00 New Member

State:
    Arizona
    Okuma's are great reels. I'll hold back on saying what's really on my mind about this post.