OKUMA FISHING REELS

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by BIG_D, Sep 23, 2008.

1. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    i am liking the okuma epixor ef80a well i mean i like its looks im going to build a rod this winter and the okuma is what im leaning towerd iv never had one or new any one that has im seeing good deals on theam on ebay this one is a $75.00 reel on ebay its less than $50.00 but befor i spend this kinda mony i want some input im usly a tight wad and get by with cheaper stuff but if im gona build a custom rod im not puting a elcheapo reel on it :cool2:

2. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    I have 2 Okuma reels and absolutely love them. I have the large baitcaster and the super large ABF90 spinning reel which holds 330 yds of 30 lb test mono. Or 5oo yds of 20 lb mono and comes with a automatic bait feeder switch which is just like a free spool with a clicker and when you turn the handle slightly, the reel engages and goes directly to the pre-set drag and is ready for setting the hook. I have it on a 10' glo-stick and cant wait to catch a biggun on it!!!! I think they are a good reel. :cool2:

3. greg

greg USCA - STAFF Staff Member Supporting Member

State:
    GA/ Ia
    They are a good stout reel, I got my 20 pound channel on my okuma setup. and it cranked it in no problem. They are very affordable but if you are going to have a rod built and spend that much money spend a little more and buy a Shimano or a Fin-Nor.

4. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks for the input guys im not having a rod built im gona build it myself

5. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Dallas1,
    They are Great Reels for the MONEY!!! I own a few OKUMAs and know them to be Quality fishing gear. The reel that you spoke of is a Heavy Duty Spinning reel and will HAUL in some monsters without question. Yet, what you were told concerning the Shimano or FinNor is also TRUE! For Budget fishing and Mid-Level the Epixor will be a Fantastic reel to have and use, but you may someday want more. I then suggest that you look at the other 2 brands mentioned. I for one would go for the Shimano FIRST!!!!!!!!!!!! JMHO!!!!!

HOPPY4

6. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks James iv got a shamono or two and yes i lovem got a pen just looking for a new flavor lol also ben looking at pfluger thay got some nice looking stuff to but the okuma i dont know y has just got my atention right now

7. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    They are GREAT reels. I have the Epixor and the Avenger in both regular and baitfeeder models and I absolutely LOVE them. They are smooth, cast well, and are tough. I havent found a better reel for the money. They are dependable and I would buy another in a heartbeat.

8. Baitkiller

Baitkiller New Member

State:
    Akron, Ohio
    The Okuma Spinning reels are very well built and run like a watch...and I own a new one in the 90? size......BUT/Opinion:

I hate, yes I said HATE the very high gear ratios for Flathead Catfish here in Ohio. I like a wench and the first time I caught a decent Shovelhead Catfish on the Okuma Reel just locked up when I tried to real on it without pumping the rod. Yes I know this is not the best way to treat your equipment but some of my other cheap spinning reels do a better job on this part of MY fishing. While reeling in this here Flathead Catfish I murmured "Junk"!

I just purchase a Old Used Mitchell 386 for its 3.6? to 1 gears but have not tried it out yet. I have used a Mitchell 486 (approx 90 size with 4? to 1 gears)
    and it does a heck of allot better then my Okuma EF-80.

4 Channels it will b ok (OPINION)

U asked, lol

:crazy:

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    The ABF90 (Okuma) spinning reel is the largest I've ever seen, and holds 500 yds. of 20 lb mono . On my 10' rod, Its like a wench, I would love to put it to the test of a Giant Flathead of over 80 lbs. I have no doubt that it would perform like a PRO!!..........( JMHO ) . If I ever buy another big spinning reel, it will be another one just like it.:cool2:

10. Bacardipr05

Bacardipr05 New Member

State:
    Pennsylvan
    :0a27:

Pretty much what he said. Although I am hearing very favorable things about the Okuma Salina lately.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    id say get the pflueger the best reel manufacturer imo (that ive tried). i love the pflueger contender g30 but thats baitcaster. this may say something for their quality. I was casting 14oz. + bait and i guess i didnt get the screw that holds the paw in tight because as i casted it made a heck of a racket what the heck as i reeled in i figured out the problem:eek:oooh: thought it be destroyed as most would looked it over and what no damage tightened it up and works perfect:cool2:

12. Catmanblues

Catmanblues New Member

State:
    S.E Ohio
    I love my Okumas very sturdy an can reel in the best of em

13. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    yea im going with the okuma but i see a pfluger in the futer as well lol :wink:

14. ozzy

ozzy New Member

State:
    Lost Wages
    Dallas, I have about 6 Okumas myself. I have a eb30 and use it for carp. Awesome reel.

15. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    Ozzy i never realized thay was so populer till i started this thread i had never even heard of theam till i seen theam on ebay i started kinda reserching theam heck you can finde theam every whear and i hear and read nuten but good about theam weird i hadent stumbld on theam befor now i at one time all i would buy was shamono or qwantom he!! now thay cost more than a pen and not near the real a pen is im just ready for something new and okuma is it time for a change gona have to build anuther rod next winter so i will have a exscuse to get a pfluger lol MOM told me one time my midle name was i want boy was she ever right about that:cool2:

16. opposum

opposum Active Member

State:
    Missouri
    I have 5 Okuma reels and love them. I haven't had any problem at all. Great product.

17. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    thanks David all i hear is good things nuten bad im convinst:cool2: gota have me one

18. catfishfever1

catfishfever1 New Member

State:
    kansas
    i have 4 okuma reels and they are great i have caught 40 and 50 pound fish on them with no problem

19. PaJay-p

PaJay-p Guest

I got 8 Okuma reels wouldn't trade them for gold. I have the Epixor models and the Avenger models. The Avengers are a great bargain. The spinning reels have the baitrunners and they work great, lots of adjustment. I also have Okuma baitcasters that are line counters with bait runners. They are actually counting in feet. Unlike other brands.

20. BIG_D

BIG_D New Member

State:
    Batchtown IL.
    well im sher now that i want the okuma epixor reel whent by the bait shop today on the way home from the river the okuma is one well built reel moste reels have a little back play not thease reels thay feel awsome yes i gota have this reel for the new rod im going to build this winter :cool2: