Okuma fishing reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by beaneye46, Mar 27, 2006.

1. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    i bought a new okuma several months ago. it was the cheapest version at catfish connection, and used for the first time yesterday. that thing sucks immensly. i can't get the thing set right to cast a 2 ounce sinker. the dial which regulates how smooth your line releases it set as high as it can go, and 2 measley ounces is too much for it. i have to cast it with the clicker on which is pretty annoying. just a word of advice, that model sucks or mine is somehow broken.:confused:

2. Katmaster Jr.

Katmaster Jr. New Member

State:
    Wilmington, NC
    Well, I don't know about your's but all the Okuma's I have are great for the money!:)

3. sherwood

sherwood New Member

State:
    Texas
    I've owned the Okuma 30L and then switched to the 30C because I needed a non-level wind reel to cast further. On both I used 4-6 ounce weights on a 10' surf rod. The 30C obviously casts better.

4. sherwood

sherwood New Member

State:
    Texas
    Sorry, I couldn't find the 'edit' button.

Just to add, I've caught a 35 pound drum on my 30L. Uglies don't fight hard like others, but the drag held up fine. Open up the reel and you'll know why it only costs $50, there are a lot of plastic parts. It really depends on what kind of fishing you're doing. THere's obviously better reels out there, but remember, you only paid $50 for it.

5. Chanellocked

Chanellocked New Member

State:
    Lake St. Louis, MO
    Bought an Okuma levelwind on ebay last year, paid less then $50 for it w/shipping, no complaints so far

6. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    I have 5 different model of the firms Baitcaster reels and have not had a problem with them. They have been Saltwater fishing primarily and have stood the test without question. I have also used 2 of them for Wels catfishing as well. NO Problem with casting a 4 oz. weight with bait at all. JMHO!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

7. loanwizard

loanwizard Well-Known Member

State:
    Coshocton,

I understand how frustrating that is. Have you contacted Catfish Connection to give them the opportunity to rectify the situation before you posted, basically complaining to the world? Give them a chance to guide you or fix the issue, for from what I hear, their customer service is excellent.

Once you have resolved the issue, either good or bad, please be as quick to post those results as you were the complaint.

I apologize if I come off abrupt, but the way you posted kind of blamed Catfish Connection as if they had anything to do with it other than offer it for sale. I am not sure, but I bet they didn't build it. As a business owner I am very sensitive to these kinds of things. Actually I wish you the best of luck finding the "right" reel.

8. Rat

Rat New Member

State:
    Forrest Illinoi
    Beaneye46, what model did you get? I have a 300L and really like it. What exactly is yours doing when you cast it? Not going far enough, birdnesting on you or what? By your description, you are using the clicker to create a drag on the reel to slow it down? That'll tear up your clicker pretty quick.
    Try this...........................
    Set your spool tension adjustment knob as tight as it it'll go. With a 2 ounce sinker on it and the reel in freespool, slowly back off the tension until the sinker will fall to the floor and the reel will stop spinning on it's own. Then take it outside and try and cast it. If setting the spool tension adjustment as tight as it will go will not stop the weight from falling to the floor, I'd say you have a problem with the reel. If it will stop it and hold it on it's tightest setting, I'd say it's an adjustment problem. Some of those tension adjustment knobs are extremely sensitive, just a hair of turn is too much. You might have to play with it to get it just right.
    Rat

9. peewee williams

peewee williams New Member

State:
    Pembroke,Georgia
    Members of the BOC,Catfish Connection and Okuma have always tried to be the best of help,each and every time I asked.I am sure they will do their best for you.I wish that I knew something about that type reel,but I don;t.My Okuma,s are all large spinning.Wish you the best.peewee-williams

10. catmankev

catmankev New Member

State:
    Valmeyer, Illinois
    I have and use 7 Okuma baitcasters. 3 30DX Magda Pros and 3 20DX Magda Pros, all with linecounters that I use for drift fishing. I also have a 300 classic, all have performed well for me so far.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    It might be possible you got a lemon if you can tighten down the little knob and not stop a 2oz sinker from falling.

12. beaneye46

beaneye46 New Member

State:
    indiana
    well, first of all im not trying to blame anything on catfish connection, thats were i get 97% of my gear, theyve got hundreds of my dollars, and i mean that in a good way.
    the model if i remmember right is the okuma classic.
    the problem is i cant adjust the line tension tight enough to cast. with 2 ounces and the spool open, it drops so fast the spool keeps on spinning into a birds nest, that why i have to cast with the clicker on to add tension.

-could it be the line im using. its cortland braid 50# which is more like trot line rope? (i know, it sounds stupid, but im a cheap skate, cant let anything go to waste)

13. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Their is something wrong with it. I have an Okuma classic 300cl, and with the knob tightend up it will stop a 5oz. weight from falling even with me shaking it.

14. Crackr

Crackr New Member

State:
    Indiana
    I just bought an Okuma 30DX and plan on trying it Sat. 4/1. We'll see what happens.