okuma expidor ef 8

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by slikk03, Jul 18, 2009.

1. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive been a bank guy as most of you active guys know all my life, as i said ive had an issuie with casting distance, so a fellow boc dude, called me and said he got an okuma ef 8o, and could sling a ten oz weght 75 yards, on a ten foot rod, is that true,if so ill be gettind one soon, this is for blues, around the misssipie area, need to get the distace, love my abues but i just cant get out with them for bluesfar,

2. fishinfreak19D

fishinfreak19D New Member

State:
    Pittston, PA
    i dont have the epixor but i do have 2 of the the avenger abf (i think the only difference is number of bearings) i have it paired with a 10 ft okuma tundra,, i never slung 10 oz with it but i can tell ya you can easily clear clear 100 yds with 6, i dont know about with a baited line tho, me and my buddies meaured the cast with just a sinker, and 4 oz flew even farther.. imo okumas are a good buy, and if i ever buy another spinning reel, okuma gets my money.

3. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    well if you can sling 6, out, then ill be able to get 50 , i can only get 25 with my casters, i need 50 yards so i think them okumas are good

4. arkrivercatman

arkrivercatman New Member

State:
    KS
    IMO they are one of the best spinning reels you can buy. I grew up fishin below dams with big weights and long casts. Thats what we used.
    Pair it up with a Lamiglass rod and the guys on the other side better watch out.:crazy::smile2::smile2:

5. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    ive been thinking alot about them okumas, now the bait feeder how does it sling i like the cliker thing but im needeing the distance, so thats why i think ill get the expidor,hear good things on them, nothing bad

6. Pip

Pip New Member

State:
    pa
    I've got 3 of the EB80's and 6 of the avenger 50's. Personally I like the Okuma spinning reels. All of mine have the baitfeeder, i don't used it all the time, only on certain occasions. Have had zero problems with them so far in a little over 3 years for most of them. i doubt if they are the best or the worst, but for the money they have been good to me so far. Would buy another one if needed.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2009
  7. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    seems theres alot of big okuma models, dont know the differance in em, never got into spinning reels until now and i if my frind said hes slining big weghts 75 yads then they got to be good

8. mrmarkedwards

mrmarkedwards Active Member

State:
    Delaware
    jake,

i'm guessing you're looking for an outfit that can cast heavy weights long distance. what weight are you looking to cast, what rods are you looking at now, how much do you want to spend, and spinning or conventional?

as far as the epixor? i have an eb-80 and an eb-50 and like both of them in my opinion they are shimano lite especially since they used to make parts for shimano. but to get the distance you're looking for you're going to have to put it all together rod, reel, line and shock leader,rig, bait and sinker.

then there's your technique casting 8-10oz all day can not only strain your gear but your body too especially if you approach it the wrong way.

9. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake...I'm no casting expert, but I can take anyone of my spinning rigs and sling it 75 yards....I mainly use 3-5oz sinkers, 7-10' rods and big spinning reels. 20-40# mono. My favorite Okuma spinning reel is the huge OkumaABF90. It holds 590 yards of 20# mono, or 330 yards of 30# mono. I use spinning reels for all my channelcat and Bluecat fishing. I use my baitcasters for my flathead fishing as well as some of my spinning reels too. I cant get the distance out of my big Penn Baitcasters to reach the channel for blues, so I use spinning reels for more distance. Some of the places I flathead fish only require a 10' cast. Some of the places I fish for bluecats require a 75-100 yard cast. One very important factor to being able to cast far is technique. Some of these guys on here can sling it out of sight. I'm happy with 75 yards though as this distance puts me right in the ole' cumberland river channel.

You talk about an experience....wait until you hook that 50lb Bluecat with 75 yards of line out in 30 or 40' of water and with the current of the main channel, and the fish rips off even more line before you can stop him. Its a 15-20 minute battle that will have your knees shakin bro. Good Luck!

10. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    yea mark said it perfect, i should of made a post i need distance,im going to but this reel, good revews on it, but now i need to find the right rod, i just cant think of one that will work right,im hearing alot of mixed results on my rod post, dont know what to buy,but the reel is going to be here in a month,i done decided that,my frend dont bs, so ill get this reel, just cant decide on a rod still

11. john catfish young

john catfish young New Member

State:
    Kentucky
    Jake...I've got my largest Okuma reel on a 10' glow stick and with 40# mono. I'd like to see the fish that I couldn't get in with this set up. Of course, I dont target structure so much as just deep water in winter for blues. And in spring, summer, fall its more shallower water after flatheads.:wink:

12. slikk03

slikk03 New Member

State:
    illinois
    i seen the line capasity, i dont need more than 300 yards of braid, so i might look at the smaller expidor efs