Okuma Classic Pro CL 302L( I need help)

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by kmcalester, Feb 15, 2008.

1. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I just purchase four of these online for a steal of a deal I couldn't pass up Less than $30 bucks with shipping . I have never used bait casters before. What kind of line should I spool this babies with.

Would greatly appreciate all you knowledge on these, how do you cast these things, I have a Abu 4500 with a button, I don't even see a button to release the the line on these.

I have a ugly stick for one, what kinda rod should I get for the other 3.

2. Reel_Blues

Reel_Blues New Member

State:
    Virginia
    Kevin can you post some pics of them not sure what you have there.

3. getthenet

getthenet New Member

State:
    ohio
    i use the same reels line release is the lever on the side flip it down for free spool and up to engage reel i use 40lb test big game line but if you are going after channels then i would go with 25lb big game line.there is also a tension knob on the side of the reel that adjust your tension for line out

4. stone

stone New Member

State:
    CA
    hi i have never owned this model. however from what i see, theres a lever to the right that you pull towards you to disengage the pinion to cast. depending on the design, it can be either auto engaging or manual, I am guessing manual. after casting you flick the lever back to engage the gear. It looks like its without brake blocks so you may have to adjust the side caps to cast if its too fast. hope this helps.

5. neocats

neocats New Member

State:
    Steubenvil
  6. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I got the line added this weekend, soon has I put a 5 oz weight on there the line just unwinds, I can even practice casting it.

7. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I hope to get some practice this weekend.

8. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I can know say I know whata birdnest is.:confused2:

9. Itch2Scratch

Itch2Scratch New Member

State:
    Ivy Bend on LOZ, Missouri
    Kevin, reels of that type are more for drifting and trolling. The only thing that slows down the spool on them once the lever is flipped is that little silver knob on the right side of the reel under the Star drag and your thumb. Always keep your thumb lightly in contact with the spool when you cast or yeah...BIRDSNEST!:smile2: Practice, Practice, Practice...train that thumb..LOL You will catch on.:big_smile:

10. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am more of a visual learner, I need someone to show me.

11. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    Im not sure how youre going about it but. 1. put thumb on spool 2. flip lever to release spool 3. take thumb off spool to see how fast your weight falls, stop it before it hits the ground if its falling fast or .... 4. ajust silver knob so the weight falls slow enough that when you hold your rod up at an angle you have to shake it a little to get it to fall. ready to cast step 1 step 2 with thumb still on the spool think of casting a zebco 33 style reel. when you push the button thats the same as holding your thumb on the spool of a baitcaster, when you let go of either the same thing happens except with a baitcaster when the sinker stops the line doesent always stop you have to stop it. hope this helps:big_smile:

12. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    well time to clean my cl300l it looks nasty and made some noise while i was making sure it would stop a 5oz while i was explaining. theise reels are pretty nice with all the abuse ive givin mine it still works good. i still use the crap out of mine with all the other $$$$$$ reels i got. you made a good buy:wink:

13. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I have to see that.

14. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    kmcalester, One of the HARDEST things to do when learning to use a Baitcaster is Teaching your Thumb to be a REGULATOR! You will need to make the adjustment on the DRAG Screw first so that the line will fall off of the reel at a Gradual speed. Too much and your casts will not go anywher and too little and you will have OVER-RUNS/Birdsnest! Place the planned casting weight on the end of the line and make this adjustment. Trial and Erra will be the only way to know what will work for you on that particular set-up. Once you have made the adjustment, you will now need the practice. Start off in your back yard and get comfortable casting about 20yds first and gradually increase the distance. You will begin to notice that the amount of casting pressure can be regulated with the THUMB as the Brake. Before you try the LONG distance casts, you need to be comfortable with the Educated Thumb Brake. The feel that you will develope about the reel as line starts to slow down will be the most important thing to Stop Birdsnest. Is it simple, yes, to those who have LEARNED. Take your time and you will be able to cast 100yd. and know that you have a Great fishing rig. JMHO!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

15. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    I am going to have to watch someone use this damn thing.

16. catman4926

catman4926 New Member

State:
    Texas
    KEVIN,
    WHAT YOU HAVE BOUGHT IS A 39.99 LIST PRICE REEL THAT WAS BUILT FOR THE LOW IN OF TROLLING. THEY DO NOT CAST VERY WELL . I HAVE HAD MIND BACK TO THE FACTORY TWICE FOR BROKEN SPOOL SHAFT,THIS LAST TIME THEY SENT ME MY REEL BACK PLUS A CHECK FOR FIFTY DOLLARS. MINE IS SITTING ON THE SHELF NOW. THE KEY IS YOU DON'T BUY A 1/2 TON PICUP TO DO A TON JOB WITH AND YOU DO NOT BUY A TOY TO CATCH BIG CAT'S WITH, OKUMA IS KNOWN FIOR SPINNING REELS AND NOT BAIT CASTERS, HOPE YOU HAVE BETTER LUCK THEN I HAVE

DON'T WORRY ABOUT YESTERDAY BECAUSE ITS COME AND GONE LIVE TODAY TO ITS FULLEST AND GIVE ALL THE GLORY:smile2::smile2:

17. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City
    Well I will put the other two back on E-bay and sell.

18. kmcalester

kmcalester Active Member

State:
    Kansas City