Okuma Classic Pro 452l Baitcast fishing Reel

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by back channel, May 9, 2006.

1. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I was looking on catfish connection and say this reel.

I was wondering if this reel would be good enough to handle a 30 pound fish or would I be wasting my money if I bought one. Also if there any other suggstions for a real that is around that price or $40 I would be happy. I will be fishing from the bank casting out about 5 or 6 ounces of weight. I am thinking about pairing the real with a catmaxx or big cat. I would also be using power pro line probably 50 or 65 pound test.

Thanks,

Scott

2. Backwater

Backwater New Member

State:
    Tennessee
    I have not used this reel, but the specs and reviews say it should handle what you want to do. I went with Penn reels from Ebay. The most I spent was 46.00 that was for a 500 new in the box with shipping. I have 2 500's spooled with 50lb on 12ft Diawa beefsticks. I also have 2 Peerless 9m spooled with 20lb on 8'6" salmon rods. Both models cast a mile, are built like tanks, and have LOUD clickers. They have been manufactured since 1958. They appear to be relatively easy to maintain with parts readily available.
    You should be able to get a 500 (or a 209 if you want a levelwind) on Ebay for $25-$40. I got the beefsticks from Catfish connection for about $25 each. Can't tell you how they work with big cats yet, but I landed a 18lb Smallmouth Buffalo and 6LB Flat this morning. When I was a kid, I saw my Dad land a 150LB + hammerhead from a pier in South Texas with a Penn 209 with 40lb dacron. He still has the reel. Just my opinion, and you know what thats worth.

3. HOPPY4

HOPPY4 New Member

State:
    Waldorf MD
    Bank Channel, I have the Classic 450L and think that it is a Great reel for the price. If you are after Cats in the 20-45lb. range, you will enjoy the reel. If you are after Long range casting, I am not able to answer. The rods of choice for me are the CatMaxx from Bass Pro. JMHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HOPPY4

4. AwShucks

AwShucks New Member

State:
    Guthrie, Oklaho
    I don't personally know anything about the reel. However, I do know ebay and use it a lot. Just go online and type in fishing reel,,, you will probably get several thousand hits. Try baitcasting fishing reel and the list will go down, limit the search to the US only, and it will go down again. But at that, you will have several hundred reels to look at. If you want to refine it even futher, type in a reel name, like "Shamano bait casting reel" or "Abu Garcia fishing reel"... the list will again come down. By wise shopping you will get a tremendous reel at a substancial savings over stores. Be careful to include the shipping/handling in any purchase to see if it is comparable to a local buy.
    If you still want to be cautious, and buy from a reputable store, Catfish Connection will be as good as any you'll find.

5. buzz crackstock

buzz crackstock New Member

State:
    Springfield, IL
    I almost bought the 452 until I actually saw it. It is a BIG reel. For cats in the 30 lb range you would probably be better off with the 302. I have this reel and it is plenty big for cats in this range and larger. I also have 2 of the 202 CLs and they are great reels. I believe they would handle just about anything that swims up to 100 lbs. I'm lucky that I live close to catfish connection and can actually get my hands on stuff before I buy.

6. Catmaster

Catmaster New Member

State:
    SE Kansas
    I have not used one before but I have herd good things about them.

7. back channel

back channel Member

State:
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Execellent info. Thanks, that is just what I wanted to hear.