Okuma Classic Casting Reels

Discussion in 'Fishing Reel Review' started by FATFLATTIE, Jul 30, 2007.

1. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    I was wondering if this is a decent reel. I've bought cheaper reels before from the Shakespear bait clicker reel to the Bass Pro gold reel and all were crap and were ruined in 3 trips or less. Just wondering if they are a quality reel or if I should just bite the bullet and get the Abu's? Any experience from casting to fighting fish would be much appreciated.

2. archer1914

archer1914 New Member

State:
    West Virginia
    i have recently bought one and my friend bought 2 they are great real good fo the money put it on a ten ft pole he put his on a 8 and 9 ft bait clicker is loud but soft (easy to run with) but if i had the extra money and am working on it i would buy the abu's the only thing i dont like about the abu's is the bait clickers aren't that loud but the casting with ease is worth it my friend has a couple record 60's but they dont hold enough line for me fresh spooled with 15 to 17 lb line and i can almost cast it out of line with a 2 ounce sinker i would go with a 7000 if you want to hold alot of line good luck

3. GoFish_Tony

GoFish_Tony New Member

State:
    Big Rock, IL
    I've got an Okuma Classic CL300. I feel that it's built tough as nails and should handle just about anything you might throw at it for many years. I've got mine mounted on an Ugly Stik Tiger MH with 40# Power Pro. The clicker is loud and will get your attention real fast. I wish it would self dis-engage out of freespool when cranking though. But for the price the classics go for, they are tough to beat it.

The only thing I don't like so much (and maybe it's just me), but I feel this is more a trolling reel and NOT a casting reel. Put it with a Downrigger or tie on a Dipsey-Diver, or Yellowbirb and let her go. But for casting... well... good luck!

I have to be VERY careful when throwing (more like tossing) a 3 ounce sinker. If I tighten the drag down it doesn't want to cast worth a hoot. And if I loosen the drag much, I get all kinds of fluffing and bird-nesting. Like I said, it could be just me.

I personally like Okuma brand reels and like that they are BIG feature reels at reasonable prices.

Tony
    _

4. FATFLATTIE

FATFLATTIE New Member

State:
    ILM, NC
    Thanks guys, I really appreciate the information. Keep it coming!

5. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    i got the same cl300 that tony has and the way he decribes the castability is right on you cant tighten it down and cast it good. you have to loosen it up a quarter turn or more than youd do with other $$$$ reels and let your thumb ride on the spool at the begining of the cast then you can get some good distance. the clicker is weak but the reel is strong the drag is real strong but can be not so smooth. mine has cought alot of fish and i havent had a problem with it yet. well worth the $25 i spent :cool2: