Okuma CL 300L Reel

Discussion in 'All Catfishing' started by bigun12, Dec 31, 2006.

1. bigun12

bigun12 New Member

State:
    Texas
    :lol: Got an Okuma CL 300L reel as a Christmas gift. Looks like it will make an excellant catfishing tool. I'm thinking about putting it on an 8' Zebco Rhino rod.

Would like to hear from anyone currentl;y using this reel and any thoughts about the rod I'm thinking of installing it on.

2. kscathunter

kscathunter New Member

State:
    Louisburg,
    I have a couple of theise and the seem to do the job cheep they arent as smooth as some of the pricer reels but Ive caught some big fish on them. for the 20some i spent a piece on them Im pleased.
    suprized this thread hasent been moved to reel review yet.

3. Pylodictis Olivaris

Pylodictis Olivaris New Member

State:
    Iowa
    It is actuallly a trolling reel. They have a lever up on the side instead of a a push button like a baitcaster...and unlike a baitcaster the reel won't engage by simply turning the handle, you have to flip the lever back down before reeling and setting the hook, trust me this is easy to forget. With a baitcaster if you are fishing with the clicker and you are getting ready to set the hook all you have to do is slightly turn the handle to engage the reel to set the hook with these reels the lever has to be up to let the clicker run but it won't engage by simply turning the handle, if you forget that little step of flipping down the lever you will find yourself setting your hook into nothing and spending the next 5 minutes fixing a birds nest on your reel. If you can get use to the lever instead of a push button it is no big deal. they are great reels for the money. I have one and I love it but I also love my Abu Garcias as well. Without a doubt it is a good purchase.

4. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Oh...about the rod. I don't know much about the rhino rods. I am sure it would be fine. Just try to match the rod up to what you are fishing for. I do all of my fishing from a boat and most of my rods are 7' medium heavy action with a soft tip for casting live bait. I don't go longer than that simply because that is what I am comfortable with and I have never had any problems.

5. Pylodictis Olivaris

State:
    Iowa
    Sorry, on my previous post about the reel....I mentioned the lever backwards you have to flip it down to cast and flip it up to reel...but I think you understand what I mean.

6. bigun12

bigun12 New Member

State:
    Texas
    Gottca! And thanks for the feed back.

Weather has been terrible down here for the last couple of weeks but I am going to put this thing to the test SOON!